OAK installed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

They Call Me Pete

Burning Hunk
Nov 18, 2007
CT
Well pulled the trigger on the install. Rented a 4" masonry bit w/ hammer drill and drilled through my chimney. After careful measuring hit my mark. Seems to be working fine just need to do some mortar patch work and should be all set. Guess all the reinsulating during the remodeling worked. Couldn't get the high burns my neighbor did w/ same stove line. His is just one size bigger.

Did you test the effectiveness of the proposed OAK by opening an outside door first? Regardless, I believe that an OAK is a good idea and should only be not used if shown to be cost prohibitive or have negative effects.

Let us know how it goes. We also like photos.

Highbeam said:
Did you test the effectiveness of the proposed OAK by opening an outside door first? Regardless, I believe that an OAK is a good idea and should only be not used if shown to be cost prohibitive or have negative effects.

Let us know how it goes. We also like photos.

Yes I did. I would open ash pan door and stove would burn alot high than with it closed hence my thinking stove was starving for air. I'm still in the testing stages but it cost me about $60 to rent drill and buy pipe so if it doesn't work I'm not out that much. I think it will be a good thing all though. Stay tuned and right now it's kinda ugly for a pic.

I meant did you test the effectiveness of the proposed OAK by opening an outside door to the house first. Not the ash pan door.

Did you buy the OAK adapter from HS? It's pretty slick really.

Does anyone know of a more exact way to measure if an OAK would be effective? My Hearthstone Shelburne tops out at about 550, which has never been a problem for us since our home isn't that big. My father's VC maintains a 400+ temp while I have to push to stay at 400. I'm wondering if an OAK would save me wood and thus save me money, or in fact have the opposite effect of burning through wood faster.

nice move,i want to do the same, years back i drilled a dryer vent hole through block and brickwork, vaguely remembered it to be a chore. Pete

Highbeam said:
I meant did you test the effectiveness of the proposed OAK by opening an outside door to the house first. Not the ash pan door.

Did you buy the OAK adapter from HS? It's pretty slick really.

No, I didn't open a door but my bedroom is semi uninsultaed (last room to remodel)and wife and I could feel the cold air being pulled out of our room. Plus wife put a Christmas bell with ribbons on door handle and I could see them moving but now the are still. That's what made me think I needed to install it. House is at 70 and it's 19 outside with no drafts.

Don't have the OAK adapter but may invest in it or make one myself. My neighbor has it I think. I'll look at his and see if it's easy enough to make. Most likely a piece of sheetmetal cut to fit opening.

It's a pretty slick adapter made of sheet metal. It provides a 3" nipple off the back of the stove for easy hookup. You could make one for sure if you had an example to follow.

Status
Not open for further replies.