OAK Kit On a Pellet insert??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnywarm

Minister of Fire
Sep 12, 2007
Connecticut
Can you use a OAK kit on a pellet insert?We have a masonry fireplace.

Thanks John

Sure can, there's a couple way you can do it. Some old masonry units already have an outside air vent someplace, so you can certain knock the grill off and run it through that. Also you can run the fresh air liner all the way up to the top with the exhaust liner. Third option is to core a hole in the back of the masonry unit if its on an outside wall.

jtp10181 said:
Sure can, there's a couple way you can do it. Some old masonry units already have an outside air vent someplace, so you can certain knock the grill off and run it through that. Also you can run the fresh air liner all the way up to the top with the exhaust liner. Third option is to core a hole in the back of the masonry unit if its on an outside wall.

Cool!!! I did not think it was possible in the insert stove. I would like to go to the top. is there a kit number??

Thanks john.

We have never had to do it yet. What we were thinking was to use two of the same 3" liner, one for exhaust and one for fresh air, and run them side by side. We would then put a piece of rigid on the top of the exhaust to get it higher and keep the fresh air lower down. Possibly put a 90 elbow on the fresh air with a 6" and a cap. Would probably have to take the normal top plate with the kit and cut an extra hole in it with an extra storm collar or make a custom top plate. It was going to be pain, glad the guy changed his mind in doing it.

jtp10181 said:
We have never had to do it yet. What we were thinking was to use two of the same 3" liner, one for exhaust and one for fresh air, and run them side by side. We would then put a piece of rigid on the top of the exhaust to get it higher and keep the fresh air lower down. Possibly put a 90 elbow on the fresh air with a 6" and a cap. Would probably have to take the normal top plate with the kit and cut an extra hole in it with an extra storm collar or make a custom top plate. It was going to be pain, glad the guy changed his mind in doing it.

So this is not the norm??? I think my owners manual said i could use the ash bin??

We just dont normally do outside air on pellet units at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.