OAK Kit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mmckee83

Sep 24, 2012
So after having a noticeable draft last year across our living room floor I decided to go with a OAK to try and get rid of It. We have had the stove running for a few days since we had it installed and it is definitely better then it was (we leave the ceiling fan on low to push the heat around so there is still a small amount of air movement and the stove still pulls a small amount of air to it) so it is not completely gone.

The only thing that I do not like is that the fresh air aluminum duct sweats (naturally because it is pulling substantially colder air through the inside of the pipe and the temp. In the house is in the 70's). I am hoping as winter progresses and it gets drier in the house that it will stop and not get worse. It is not terrible and is not dripping, just one of things that I know is there. I did see some stuff on here that you can wrap the duct but not sure that it will make it stop sweating as opposed to just hiding it?

Air will still be drawn toward the stove as it needs it for the room distribution fan. The OAK prevents pre-heated air from being wasted on combustion and will reduce cold air from coming in at the weak points of your building envelope - stopping those really cold drafts by windows and doors. I find that my OAK actually has frost on it in the winter but it is pulling in up to -50 C air.

Insulating OAK does help. Keep warm humid air away from cold surface, and problem should be solved. Use only noncombustible insulation!

Our OAK line would drip condensation on the floor. Insulation fixed that.

bb010fbeaaa5bd823e6c06ada4a9b54a.jpg

Air will still be drawn toward the stove as it needs it for the room distribution fan. The OAK prevents pre-heated air from being wasted on combustion and will reduce cold air from coming in at the weak points of your building envelope - stopping those really cold drafts by windows and doors. I find that my OAK actually has frost on it in the winter but it is pulling in up to -50 C air.

nice way to descibe how the OAK helps, very easy to understand the way you put it (beer smiley)

dang, it gets mighty cold where you're at, -50C is a bit chilly

do you change your handle in the winter from "lake girl" to "ice lake fisher or skater girl" ?

Thanks -
Last year in the -50C, our kids were out throwing boiling water at their Dad ... water droplets froze in mid-air.
Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall - always Lake Girl...
I'd never make it as skater girl ;lol Last time I was skating, 2 years ago, skate got caught in a crack. I went down but the blade stayed in the crack and I broke my fibula (outside bone lower leg). It healed but I'm in no hurry to get the skates back on

Was in Lowe's this weekend and picked up a package of the sticky back insulation. Will turn the stove off for a cleaning tonight and dry the pipe off and put it on and see what happens. I also have some thicker insulation wrap left over from my beer line run that I can put over top of that as well.

It did get worse over the weekend and started to drip on the hearth pad, not the end of the world but I would prefer that not to happen.

Insulation like everyone above stated! Your air will dry out some as it get colder but you will still have moisture inside just from the homes occupants. Breathing, showers, boiling and cooking food, on and on. Even if you run exhaust fans you will still have it. Condensation always goes to cooler surfaces. Metals, concrete, etc; I guarantee you if you wrap your pipe the problem is solved. Cheap and easy fix.

And if you think about it the OAK is likely the coldest thing in the house also. Some guys might disagree and say it's the better half but that is a myth...... LOL! Joking! It's a two way street on attitudes. Took the kids Trick or Treating and they were wanting us to dress up..... Didn't happen. I said mom is going as a mean old witch. They thought that was funny. They decided I would be a bum since I hadn't shaved and threw on an old hat.

Status
Not open for further replies.