Oak ??...leaf pic added

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beer Belly

Minister of Fire
Oct 26, 2011
Connecticut
They have been doing tree trimming in my area, and I've had little luck in getting whats being dropped. Here is some of what I've been able to get. I'm thinking first is Maple, and 2 pictures of Oak.

I don't think the 2nd and 3rd are oak - too much sapwood. Maybe aspen??

First pic is Maple, second and third looks like Tulip or Sasafrass to me. I could tell by smelling them!!!

First pic looks like maple the is some sort of cottonwood or poplar. To make sure I would ask the guys who are doing the trimming.

Aspen/Poplar is ok, just burns faster. I would burn it.

I think the second and third picture are Sassafras. Could possibly be some type of hickory, perhaps Pignut, but I think Sassafras. There is nothing wrong with Sassafras as firewood, but it isn't as dense as oak, that is for sure.

I agree the first picture is Maple. I can't tell Red Maple from Silver Maple or Sugar Maple without a leaf.

Keep on scrounging! I have collected many cords of wood an armful at a time.

There is still some left by the road.....may take a ride past there on the way to work and grab a few more pieces.....and get a look at the leaf on the tree....these are branches, the tree is a pretty good size.

Definitely not Oak.....

Aspen?

Yeah, could be. I believe they hybridize.
Quaking Aspen, the shape is more Aspen but the bottom of the leaf margin is Cottonwood.
The logs look like Cottonwood, Ive cut some down around my horsebarn. I have quaking aspen, big tooth aspen and eastern cottonwood all growing within 50' of each other. A good study on those famous fluttering leaves.

All looks like firewood to me........

Status
Not open for further replies.