OAK Materials ??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nevada

Aug 24, 2010
The cold part of Nevada
If making your own OAK kit what are the best materials, are you using dryer vent ducting material or something stronger ? Are you running a standard outside vent like a dryer ?? This will be for an Accentra Insert and I think its 3"...... Just preparing for a self install..I know the sell the OAK kit, but looking at it, I think I can do better just going to Home Depot.. But you guys tell me. Thanx ! ;-)

Hello

In my case I could not buy a kit that would fit my install. The best area for my wood pellet stove was in the middle of my basement connected to the center chimney. I had to install a stainless steel chimney right behind it for my oil boiler so it was not easy! So the pellet stove is in the center from left to right and from front to back with vents cut in the floor to bring the heat up. Now the chimney connect was easy but not the OAK. So basically I used a 2" metal preheater hose from AutoZone to an iron wall mount damper purchased from the Stove Shoppe in Windham NH that I mounted in a new tiled wall that I built. Then on the other side of the wall I used a 15 foot 2" flexible metal chimney liner I purchased from fireplace village to go up and over to the back of the house. I then went to midas muffler for a custom 5" long 2" muffler pipe to go thru the wall to the metal hooded and screened vent. Then I covered the 15 foot chimney liner with white Fiberglass Pipe Insulation from Home Depot!

Most stoves have 2" hole for an OAK which is plenty of air. You can get 3" flexible vent piping and larger from Home Depot.

Reasons for having an OAK from >> http://used-wood-stoves.com/?p=27446
We still recommend a fresh air kit for older homes because: (1) control your air flow better, (2) stoves like oxygen-rich outside air versus stale impure inside air, (3) your room air blower is only 12 inches away from you combustion air inlet and it alone could steal (starve) air from the combustion process, (4) other house fans such as bathroom fans, kitchen hood fans, attic fans may starve the stove of combustion air creating a negative pressure; (5) a mechanical pull rod can be used exclusively as an ash dump and not worry about re-adjusting the exact position after each ash dump; (6) ash dropping down should not compete nor interfer with air moving up (because of using a mechanical damper); (7) air should instead come in from the backside of the fire box via using a KIT, not from underneath the fire box; (8) Ash drops may partially clog the opening of the mechanical damper thus changing air/fuel mixture and causing malfunction.

See Pics below, I used radiator clamps for a nice tight connection. Good luck
I can stop the cold air coming in with the black lever when the stove is not in use!

Attachments

• PelletStoveBackplane&connection 202SC.jpg
    PelletStoveBackplane&connection 202SC.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 552
  • PelletStoveBackplane&connection 110sc.jpg
    PelletStoveBackplane&connection 110sc.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 547
  • PelletStoveBackplane&connectionSC201.jpg
    PelletStoveBackplane&connectionSC201.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 530
  • PelletStoveBackplane&connection 196SC.jpg
    PelletStoveBackplane&connection 196SC.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 540
  • PelletStoveBackplane&connection 191sc.jpg
    PelletStoveBackplane&connection 191sc.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 523
  • PelletStoveBackplane&connection 198sc.jpg
    PelletStoveBackplane&connection 198sc.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 528
you can get those preheater hoses in 36" lengths as well.....just make sure you get the all aluminum one and not the paper coated.
theyll run you about $15shipped

looks like a nice kit for the money...havent had any luck finding a 2" kit for that price.

anyone know where to get 1/4" self tapping sheet metal screws to hold the pipe connections together?

I got everything I needed from Lowes. My HD didn't have much selection. I used 3" dryer vent. Works great and looks good. Total cost around $20.
Flynfrfun

fast636 said:

ABS ???

Maybe buy a 3" kit and use a 3X2 adapter from an auto parts store. Thats what i had to do to use the direct-temp venting on my st. croix stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.