Oak MC - so close!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pellet_Pete

Feeling the Heat
Jan 22, 2014
Franklin County, MA
I almost got my red oak to burnable MC in a single season. Bought 2 "cords" ($175/cord that was actually 3/4 cord - not so bad) back in March to supplement my sporadic scrounges - it was a nice mix of red oak, sugar maple, black birch, cherry, ash & white birch that had been cut & split some months prior. Stacked everything up and top-covered until this past weekend. Compulsively checked MC as I was bringing wood into the basement. Black birch, ash, white birch, cherry were all in great shape 14-16%. Oak and sugar maple were marginal, hanging out at 18-23%. I'm fortunate that I don't need to burn every stick of wood I have on hand, so I made the executive decision to restack these pieces for next year, which came to a little over 1/2 cord. We had a very dry & sunny summer, but pretty high humidity throughout - I think top-covering + good sun & circulation really are just a winning combo...well, almost.

Reactions: Gboutdoors
Get a new MC. No way your red oak is good to go after one season unless you have very small splits. I have red oak c/s/s on 2 summers and its still not ready. It was just as dry here. Good decision to put it toward next winter. Everything but the sugar maple will probably be good to go though.

Reactions: Tom123
Are you checking a fresh split? Red oak will not be ready after one season.

My standing dead red oak was split small and isn't ready yet.
Stacked in July but half the tree was half alive. Feels too dense and heavy to cook up this winter.
The fat end of the wedges is 2-3". The rounds were cookies so they are next years e/w in the firebox.

Last edited:
Well, now I'm thinking the old-timer I bought it from must have cut & split the previous summer/fall (probably had quite a bit left over from the mild winter). When delivered, all wood was pretty weathered looking, but MC was in high 20's. Stacked & covered ASAP in March - lots of sun and wind - checked a few pieces of RO in mid-August & they were at 23-25% or so. Still a bunch at that MC, but smaller pieces at 18-21%, and even smaller ones that I was comfortable just taking in with the other wood. I guess I ought not to claim that "I did it" since I wasn't sure just how the wood was handled prior to receiving. In any case, got 2 full cords in the basement and a 1/2 cord that will be good to go next year.

I could dry oak in 6 MONTHS.

Untill I found this forum ;em;em;em;em;em

bob

Reactions: Jay106n and MrsD
Status
Not open for further replies.