Oak Moisture Content - Update

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lukem

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2010
Indiana
Yesterday I was adding/removing stuff from the to-do list and "load the woodshed" came top of mind. I already have next year's loaded but wanted to get the year after that moved in so I don't have to mow/trim around the stacks.

I plan on burning some oak that was c/s/s in November '10. Before moving it in, I decided to check it with the MM. Grabbed a split from the top of the stack, re-split it, and measured it. 28%. I guess it will spend a while longer outdoors.

Its a pain in the arse sometimes, isnt it, I have some cut and split about the same time. Im going to get a MM at Lowes and check it periodically through the summer to see if I can burn it this year. I stacked it in two rows with a space between in the sunniest and windiest spot on my land.

I hope I can burn some Black this year. Dead standing, started at about 22-27%, been stacked since May '11.

EDIT: Single-row...

Man you guys must split oak big! I do 3x3 inch splits max, and they are good to go in under a year

Geoxman might burn his oak in under a year but I'm betting even with his small splits that should he ever make the habit of waiting 2-3 years before burning he will be amazed at the difference. Yes, lots of wood can be burned in shorter times than we allow and claims of it burning okay are many. However, we also hear as many complaints about dirty chimneys and poor fires and too many coals, etc. Nope, around our place, we'll let the oak sit for 3 years. We also do not like the 3" splits as that is a bit too small, especially for overnight fires and that is where we use our oak.

I have learned over the years as many have, smaller splits and check the MM before burning the oak. if you can wait just a little longer you will reap the rewards on the following jan/feb. :)

Geoxman might burn his oak in under a year but I'm betting even with his small splits that should he ever make the habit of waiting 2-3 years before burning he will be amazed at the difference. Yes, lots of wood can be burned in shorter times than we allow and claims of it burning okay are many. However, we also hear as many complaints about dirty chimneys and poor fires and too many coals, etc. Nope, around our place, we'll let the oak sit for 3 years. We also do not like the 3" splits as that is a bit too small, especially for overnight fires and that is where we use our oak.

If i were to split smaller so that I can pack more in wouldn't it still be the same amount of wood? New to this and I do split on the smaller side right now becasue I don't have a huge stove to handle big splits...have left some small oak limbs not split to try in a couple of years but just curios what the difference is?

MC is under 20 and most of my oak was 1x3 when I measured last night. I never have a problem with overnight burns? I also do not know of the condition of the wood when cut because everything is delivered from my tree guy. I split everything very small except for my silver maple and ash and everything is all mixed together because it is usually mixed when dumped in my car port. The cat does not like wet wood and the chimney was pretty clean last week when I swept.
Splitting smaller takes more time but with my very very small city/urban yard I have no choice and I can only ever get 1 year ahead before running out of space.
With my stoves I have the luxury of burning coal if my wood is too wet and I have a ton in the garage for backup. Bit around is stupid cheap but the wood is still free. good luck

If i were to split smaller so that I can pack more in wouldn't it still be the same amount of wood? New to this and I do split on the smaller side right now becasue I don't have a huge stove to handle big splits...have left some small oak limbs not split to try in a couple of years but just curios what the difference is?

Bigger splits will still burn slower. There will still be air between all of the pieces, and greater airflow. Plus it's pretty likely that the small pieces will be really dry and burn much quicker. I have tried to stuff the stove full of small pieces through the night, but it rarely works for me. If I want coals in the morning a couple of larger pieces is what I have to go with.

I had a 3 year stacked pallet topple over last week. Instead of restacking, I decided to bring the wood to the barn, since it was part of next year's stacks. Most of the wood, including the red oak, was good to go - but a few splits of oak felt heavy. Split a couple and the MC was at 30%! Tossed those splits on the top of the stacks for the winter after next. Oak can be crazy. As for geoxman - he's from SLC, Utah - I might not be too surprised if he can can small oak splits ready in a year in that dry climate. Cheers!

I had a 3 year stacked pallet...Most of the wood, including the red oak, was good to go - but a few splits of oak felt heavy. Split a couple and the MC was at 30%!
Sheesh! I don't like to hear that. I've got other wood but I was hoping to burn some of my Black Oak next year. Was that wet Oak a big split?

You might get the same amount of wood in the stove but it will burn faster. This is why most folks have some large splits or rounds to burn at night so that it will hold the fire longer. Even if you can get in only one large split or round and then pack it with the smaller stuff it will serve you well.

I like oak, but sugar maple, cherry and locust fit the bill for me. Having limited storage space does not allow me to put wood up for a few years. Two years ago I was burning wood at about 20-25% MC and it burned just ok as I bought it in the fall. Last winters wood was 12-15% and what a difference it was. Knocking pieces together sounded like bowling pins. I'm at the point where the moisture meter sits on the shelf and the guessing is over whether it is dry or not.

You might get the same amount of wood in the stove but it will burn faster. This is why most folks have some large splits or rounds to burn at night so that it will hold the fire longer. Even if you can get in only one large split or round and then pack it with the smaller stuff it will serve you well.

Thanks for the info...while splitting some oak today that is basically ready to go I left some smaller rounds that will go right in as is and i will pack smaller stuff around it.

Good luck Rory.

Status
Not open for further replies.