OAK (Outside Air Kit) Poll: What do you really think?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Which best describes your view on OAKs?

• I think they are a waste of time. My dryer doesn’t have one and my stove doesn’t need one either!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaner

Nov 6, 2009
CT
I have scoured this site about OAKs (Outside air kits) and there are definitely differnet opinions out there.

Some folks swear by them (helps prevent negative pressure, cold air is better for combustion, hate the idea of using already heated air for the stove, without an OAK = more drafty in the house).

Others don't think it is a good idea (Dealers don't recommend, Normal home needs to circulate air anyway, stove CFM exhaust isn't that big a deal, other appliances don't have them, etc).

I figured it would be fun to see how we think about it as a group. I couldn't find a poll on the subject (my apologies if it already exists) and put one together

Shane

Where's the option for "I think it's pointless but it's required because I have a mobile home"?

no comment, topic has been beaten to death.

The cold air I feel getting sucked from the gap under my basement door tells me it is a good idea.

I like the idea of having the fire sealed off from the garage . I will be able to paint in there and not be worried about a fire .

I need an option for my manufacturer does not recommend it for the area in which I live. Right next to Chesapeake Bay, way too much moist air, will lead to rusting.

dbjordan said:
I need an option for my manufacturer does not recommend it for the area in which I live. Right next to Chesapeake Bay, way too much moist air, will lead to rusting.

And the air inside the house is how much drier?

I live on an island on the Coast O' Miane. Without an OAK, air is drawn into the house. I can't imagine it would be that much drier or less corrosive than though a direct vent.

My previous pellet stove wore out...I noticed no rust after 10 years of use with an OAK. On windy days I have salt covering my windows, so I cannot imagine any air being less corrosive.

In my case the house was originally built for electric heat and was double insulated, I added another layer of outside insulation, so the house is fairly airtight. One of the main reasons for me buying a stove was to dry the air in the house, and I do not want to pull in any more humid air than I have to.

Swaybar said:
dbjordan said:

And the air inside the house is how much drier?

I live on an island on the Coast O' Miane. Without an OAK, air is drawn into the house. I can't imagine it would be that much drier or less corrosive than though a direct vent.

My previous pellet stove wore out...I noticed no rust after 10 years of use with an OAK. On windy days I have salt covering my windows, so I cannot imagine any air being less corrosive.

In my case the house was originally built for electric heat and was double insulated, I added another layer of outside insulation, so the house is fairly airtight. One of the main reasons for me buying a stove was to dry the air in the house, and I do not want to pull in any more humid air than I have to.

Actually the air inside the house is extreamly drier. I don't have a problem with OAK, but if my maufacturer (still under warranty) says don't, and my stove runs fine and we are warm, I won't. If things change and it seems OAK will help then I will.

dbjordan said:
... my manufacturer does not recommend it for the area in which I live.....

Interesting....the installation manual for your stove doesn't say anything like that. It actually recommends that you DO install an OAK, and there's no mention of regional differences or installs near water.

macman said:
dbjordan said:

Interesting....the installation manual for your stove doesn't say anything like that. It actually recommends that you DO install an OAK, and there's no mention of regional differences or installs near water.

You are correct, but the three St Croix dealers in my area have all told me the same thing, "the manufacturer does not advise OAK in our area". If it was 1 dealer maybe/maybe not, but with 3 I will take their advise. Again I don't have a problem with OAK, for me my stove runs fine without it, and the local recomendation is don't. Eveyones situation is differnt, if OAk works best for any paticular installation, by all means do it.My post was just to point out my situation, and not to persuade/dissuade anyone, one way or another. I think you can get some very good recommondations from this board, but the advise from relaible local dealers is just as important.

dbjordan said:
macman said:
dbjordan said:

You are correct, but the three St Croix dealers in my area have all told me the same thing, "the manufacturer does not advise OAK in our area". If it was 1 dealer maybe/maybe not, but with 3 I will take their advise. Again I don't have a problem with OAK, for me my stove runs fine without it, and the local recomendation is don't. Eveyones situation is differnt, if OAk works best for any paticular installation, by all means do it.My post was just to point out my situation, and not to persuade/dissuade anyone, one way or another. I think you can get some very good recommondations from this board, but the advise from relaible local dealers is just as important.

Given the common knowledge that most dealer/installers rarely recommend an OAK for questionable reasons I`d like to see that particular manufacturers recommendation against the OAK in writing.
IMO, those dealers/installers aren`t being up front (honest) with their customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.