OAK placement..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DexterDay

Going to install my Fathers 25-PDV and I am having trouble finding info on OAK placement.

I have seen where it says it must be 12" away from Exhaust vent?? Does this mean actual distance from end cap termination, or the actual vent where it comes out of the house??

Or it says it must be below termination?? Does this mean it cant go above the vent? Even if its 12" above??

Only reason I ask, is I am going to have to put it above the Exhaust vent.. But it will be about 14-15" above. Well over the 12", but still above it.. The vent will come out horizontally about 2 ft (Vert rise inside house), then the Termination cap pointing down. So it will be about 2.5 ft from termination point, but above it..

Hope this makes sense. Its the only way it can be done because of the layout of the house and Brick and Block below the vent. So it must be above.

could you put a small vertical rise to the outside part of the exhaust and then keep the OAk next to the through the wall exit point. That way, you exhaust will be at least 12 inches away and lower. if not, why not the exhaust system that has the OAK in it. That OAK is at the same surface as your home siding, and the exhaust sticks out another foot beyond the wall.

Already has the Simpson pellet vent kit bought. I have seen that wall thimble and that is much closer than 12" . Thats what has me thinking its 12" away from the actual termination point. But until I have concrete evidence. I may have to put a small rise. But another 90* bend and he will be over EVL for 3"

Scratching my head.

Dex, I'd say that the actual distance from OAK inlet to the end of the exhaust pipe is correct.

Here's what Travis Ind. says in the owners manual:

"Must not terminate above or within 1' of the chimney termination."

I was guessing 12" from end of vent. But guessing will not pass inspection. Me and my Father have the same Ins co. The woman is very nice and has had no problems with any of any 3 self installs. So she has some faith will be done right. Although she still must check everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.