oak problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mike56

Aug 13, 2010
broad brook,ct
I have an issue with the oak, i used the 2” metal flex pipe (came with the stove) from the stove thru the back wall which happens to lead into the inner wall of the garage, i don’t feel comfortable having it draw the garage air, so i would like to extend it using pvc to the front of the garage wall, so that way it will draw outside fresh air, length would be around 15ft the stove manual says any thing over 6' needs 3" pipe but i have already used the 2" oak kit and the wall plates will not accept a 3" pipe, IMO i only have to adapt the end of the metal flex from the stove to the pvc (not sure what to use there?one member said to use a metal dryer vent adapt), what do you members think? any feedback and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Englander 25pdvc

do you know for a fact that you even need the OAK?

i have tried it both ways did not notice any difference but the house is not totally sealed up yet for the winter, so i didn't want to take any chances

tundraSQ said:
do you know for a fact that you even need the OAK?

according to the manual......yes.....

Outside combustion air is mandatory for these units to work properly.

mike56 said:
I have an issue with the oak, i used the 2” metal flex pipe (came with the stove) from the stove thru the back wall which happens to lead into the inner wall of the garage, i don’t feel comfortable having it draw the garage air, so i would like to extend it using pvc to the front of the garage wall, so that way it will draw outside fresh air, length would be around 15ft the stove manual says any thing over 6' needs 3" pipe but i have already used the 2" oak kit and the wall plates will not accept a 3" pipe, IMO i only have to adapt the end of the metal flex from the stove to the pvc (not sure what to use there?one member said to use a metal dryer vent adapt), what do you members think? any feedback and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Englander 25pdvc

You could probably use a coupling reducer like this one:

http://www.bestmaterials.com/detail.aspx?ID=17911

That would probably work
I got my stove used without the OAK. I ended up using 2" central vac pipe, and a small section of vac hose from the wall to the stove.
On the outside of the house I have the straight horizontal going to a 90 deg, and I glued in a piece of screen.

Attachments

• OAKadapter.jpg
    OAKadapter.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 268
Go to your local auto parts store and take advantage of their universal exhaust system parts. These work EXCELLENT for coming up with any number of configurations you might need to do your outside air. Any and every reducer/increaser and angle of pipe you could ever possibly need is available and CHEAP and of course non-combustible.

Checkthisout said:
Go to your local auto parts store and take advantage of their universal exhaust system parts. These work EXCELLENT for coming up with any number of configurations you might need to do your outside air. Any and every reducer/increaser and angle of pipe you could ever possibly need is available and CHEAP and of course non-combustible.

Local muffler shop should have anything you'd need also.

mike56 said:
I have an issue with the oak, i used the 2� metal flex pipe (came with the stove) from the stove thru the back wall which happens to lead into the inner wall of the garage, i don�t feel comfortable having it draw the garage air, so i would like to extend it using pvc to the front of the garage wall, so that way it will draw outside fresh air, length would be around 15ft the stove manual says any thing over 6' needs 3" pipe but i have already used the 2" oak kit and the wall plates will not accept a 3" pipe, IMO i only have to adapt the end of the metal flex from the stove to the pvc (not sure what to use there?one member said to use a metal dryer vent adapt), what do you members think? any feedback and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Englander 25pdvc

Use a fernco rubber joining union....Im sure I didnt spell it correct but that is what I used and then used 2 hose clamps

This a quote from my stove's manual. From what I understand it is standard and consistant with codes:
Outside air must not be drawn from an enclosed space (garage,
unventilated crawl space).
NOTE: Napoleon® strongly suggests using outside air for all residential
installations, especially for those that are energy efficient,
air-tight homes.
Outside air supply must not be over 15' long.
Outside air vents must be made with 1 3/4" diameter or larger
metal or aluminum duct with a metal screen attached to the end to
keep out rodents (P.V.C. or other materials may not be used).
The outside air inlet must not be above or within 12" of the chimney
termination, must have a rain cap or down-turned elbow to
prevent the water from entering and be located so that it will not
become plugged by snow or other material.

I made the mistake of using PVC in the terminal end of my OAK, but not for more than a day. I got good advice from this forum. The good part is that the PVC portion made a pattern for the Muffler shop to use to make a metal replacement. I got that part for about $30. Now safe and legal.

Status
Not open for further replies.