OAK question, but not the typical should I or shouldn't I...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruins4877

Nov 25, 2012
Hampstead, NH
Hey guys and gals,

I have a St. Croix Prescott that I have been using without issue this year. I have a temporary OAK that I am using currently while I have updates done to my house. I am getting to the point where I will have to update the room that the stove currently resides in. My question is this....right now I have the temporary OAK going out onto my screened in porch. No issues with the setup I have now and I can build a permanent OAK out into the porch as it is now. I have a crawlspace, not a basement and was wondering if there would be any issue with going through the floor and having my OAK pulling air from the crawlspace? Anyone else tried this? The crawlspace is not completely sealed at this point nor will it ever be sealed. Just wanted some thoughts before I tackle this particular room. If I can get away with routing the OAK piping through the floor as opposed to going out a wall where it will be seen and my wife will constantly remind me that it looks "ugly" I will probably take that route, LOL.

Thoughts? Comments? Ridicule? LOL

Thanks in advance.

Do you have any plumbing in the crawlspace? What about the effects of snow? I'm assuming you're venting your stove into a chimney? If you're on an exterior wall, I'd just go through the wall and maybe use a dryer "hood" as the intake. Maybe plant a shrubbery in front of it.

Kinda need more info.

4, 8, 77. Ahhhh..the good old days :)

OOOOHHH I do have water pipes in the crawlspace, now that you mention that, not gonna do it that way. I just got finished dealing with a frozen/burst pipe in the attic that had no reason being there. Not going to pull in more cold air in the crawlspace to help those pipes freeze up, LOL.

Wasn't even thinking of the plumbing down there. Glad I asked, thankful it was pointed out to me before I did it. I can make the piping for the OAK to the porch permanent, just have to become creative on hiding it so the wifey doesn't see it.

The stove is vented up into the former chimney of a standalone woodstove. It's not on an exterior wall. The closest exterior wall is 6 feet to the right. The temporary oak is just a 7' tube from the stove to a former cat door that I closed off. Like I said, it is temporary and will be working on a more permanent setup. That is why I asked here. Going into the crawlspace is not an option.

4, 8, 77....If only they were playing on the team we get to watch now.....

OOOOHHH I do have water pipes in the crawlspace, now that you mention that, not gonna do it that way. I just got finished dealing with a frozen/burst pipe in the attic that had no reason being there. Not going to pull in more cold air in the crawlspace to help those pipes freeze up, LOL.

Wasn't even thinking of the plumbing down there. Glad I asked, thankful it was pointed out to me before I did it. I can make the piping for the OAK to the porch permanent, just have to become creative on hiding it so the wifey doesn't see it.

The stove is vented up into the former chimney of a standalone woodstove. It's not on an exterior wall. The closest exterior wall is 6 feet to the right. The temporary oak is just a 7' tube from the stove to a former cat door that I closed off. Like I said, it is temporary and will be working on a more permanent setup. That is why I asked here. Going into the crawlspace is not an option.

4, 8, 77....If only they were playing on the team we get to watch now.....
I can figure out 4 and 77 and 8 is Cam. What about 24,13, and 15

Status
Not open for further replies.