OAK Question here...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyray

Minister of Fire
does anyone here see any pellet consumption difference one way or another with an OAK installed?
or has anyone had any problems or reason to dis-connect the're OAK from the stove../?
primarily about a Harman but I assume this would pertain to most pellet stoves.

Last edited:
No difference in Pellet usage.
No problems.
No more cool air drafts since OAK installed.
Wouldn't run my stove without one now.
---Nailer---

Reactions: ZBrooks
Look up the CFM on the combustion fan and ask yourself, do you want to supply that with expensively preheated air or use outside air? Get the OAK.

Put one in if feasible.Only 2 reasons not to have one(in my opinion) 1 you live where it is below -15 most of the year,2 your stove intake air is not "sealed"(not a problem with harman).

does anyone here see any pellet consumption difference one way or another with an OAK installed?
or has anyone had any problems or reason to dis-connected the're OAK from the stove../?
primarily about a Harman but I assume this would pertain to most pellet stoves.
Most things I've read about OAK echo the very answers you have gotten in this thread with the exception of pre heated OAK, in that case I have read some cases of better or more efficient burn. That also voids the extra cold climate situation when using OAK.

I have not installed mine yet but intend to this year before the cold weather sets in ( P61). I have two choices of how to run it. In the first I punch a hole in the existing fireplace which puts the OAK tube straight out the back but also has the air inlet against prevailing NW winter winds. In the second I skirt the hearth edge with teh tubing and put it out the wall to the left of the stove, placing the air inlet in a protected pocket next to the chimney outdoors. The second approach is a little more ugly inside the house but I think it's the better choice for efficiency, since that prevailing wind can be 40 MPH some nights or days hear on Cape Cod ( especially after a storm my stove would be supercharged !). I believe the end of Sept will be my install time at any rate..

Can you explain the issue with OAK when there is low outside temp ?

Can you explain the issue with OAK when there is low outside temp ?
Some people have experienced frost build up resulting in restricted air flow in extreme cold. Others swear they get a better burn result with heated OAK ( preheated air in other words).. There is a lot of controversy over these topics but for some of those experiencing frost problems that is a pita. As to me I'm not in that climate, we hit -6 f every few years but single digits can be common in mid winter. So I'm doing it keeping in mind that my main goal is to reduce drafts in the house..

Last edited:
I can see how frost might be a problem in extreme environments. The only other thing I might suggest is that cold air is denser which provides more oxygen and therefore, very theoretically, it might alter combustion in some subtle way. I have had an OAK since Day 1 and I have never found it to be a problem in New Hampshire.

Reactions: alternativeheat
I did not hook our OAK up this year we use our stove rarely though now. I figured it was one less whole letting in cold air. Never had a problem with frost it did develop frost on really cold days but it would evaporate before it dripped. I did put a aluminum tray under it but it was always dry. Our house seemed less drafty with it installed.

Reactions: alternativeheat
Status
Not open for further replies.