Oak question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ctcarl

Feeling the Heat
Jan 4, 2014
Connecticut
.The tech that installed my Harman p35i was really nice and im sure during the summer paying him cash on the side.He can do the oak that raps in the chimney.like in the owners manual.I just don't know if it's really worth it.I understand how the oak wrks. Has anybody with a insert here added a oak at a latter time and noticed a big result. My house was built in the 50s and I insulated it pretty well.thus far this stove has more than metting my heating goals and then sum. Just don't know if spending the extra $ is worth it. Kinda like if it's not broke don't fix ya know.i have seen most of the threads here on oaks and see a lot a different opinions.

All kinds on info on OAKS here. Bottom line: Without an OAK you are pumping 50-65 cfm of air that you paid to heat.....to the outside. That's being replaced by cold outside air infiltrating through every crack and crevise. With an OAK its status quo. You decide if its worth it.

All kinds on info on OAKS here. Bottom line: Without an OAK you are pumping 50-65 cfm of air that you paid to heat.....to the outside. That's being replaced by cold outside air infiltrating through every crack and crevise. With an OAK its status quo. You decide if its worth it.
Thank you I think in gnna bite the bullet and do it this summer. I want the best for my house and most important for my stove.also my wife wants a new hearth. This is gnna cost me lol

Last edited:
Now this is the best definition of the cost of NOT having an OAK that I have seen. Thank you.

As a fellow P35i owner I had a similar experience with my 1st P35i. It was installed without OAK, after an energy audit offered to air seal and insulate for short money I became concerned about negative air pressure in the house. That, and the cold air running along the floor convinced me to install the OAK. The house "feels" warmer and I no longer have the draft along the floor. When I put in my new P35i a few months ago I used a prairie cap that allows you to run your OA pipe all the up, I was not comfortable pulling air from inside the liner as Harman shows on their diagram.

I never have a stove without OA installed.

Reactions: Ctcarl
As a fellow P35i owner I had a similar experience with my 1st P35i. It was installed without OAK, after an energy audit offered to air seal and insulate for short money I became concerned about negative air pressure in the house. That, and the cold air running along the floor convinced me to install the OAK. The house "feels" warmer and I no longer have the draft along the floor. When I put in my new P35i a few months ago I used a prairie cap that allows you to run your OA pipe all the up, I was not comfortable pulling air from inside the liner as Harman shows on their diagram.

I never have a stove without OA installed.
Great info thank you !

Status
Not open for further replies.