oak results

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisasst

Minister of Fire
Aug 13, 2008
cortland ny
I have read all this stuff on oak or not to oak... However what would be the different results I should be looking for. I had oak on, I just unhooked it. What should I be looking for as results? Better looking bun? Hotter or cooler heat output? Room temp? How do I recognize which is better?

you gain 2% WITH OAK. houses built with in the last 15 years are so tight your stove could suck air out of the house after 15 hours the stove would shut down because the house pressure is to low. or you would turn on the dryer and the stove would shut down.

my story

i just installed my OAK yesterday and allready see a differance my hosue is 10 years old and has a crawl space between the foundation wall and the finished wall of the basment the main drain to the sepic is there. There are vents to the area with my LP furnace and water heater and my stove is in the basement. after installing my stove and having it run for a few weeks i felt a draft of really cold air aroun the stove i did not have the OAK it was pulling the cold air from the vents and making it really cold in some areas. after the install i fired up the stove and let it heat the basement and after about 4 hours the house was warm and i have no draft and the stove seems to put out hotter air. so in my situation the OAK was a great thing to do and i would recomend it to anyone. i have a US 4061tp stove. I would say in the end it is up to you to install one but i thinnk you get better burn with one. even after a day of having one!!

Hello

To be specific, I noticed that I can heat the whole house with the pellet stove on 1 lower heat setting with the OAK!!!
Also the house heats up much more quickly from startup with the OAK.

That to me is a big savings in Pellets. I like to be a "Pellet Pig" and have plenty of pellets on hand, bit not a "Pellet Hog" and burn more pellets than needed !!!!

That to me is the difference!!!!

Attachments

• PelletStoveBackPlane&Connection240sc.jpg
    PelletStoveBackPlane&Connection240sc.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 335
I made sure I had an OAK installed when I got my stove ....

didn't have an oak for 14 years, but will be installing one this weekend, makes more sense to heat the outside air than to blow the air you already heated out the vent.

So almost 24 hours and I don't feel or see that much different. If anything I see a more consistent output heat without the oak.. but I don't know. Still not getting any hotter temps though...

Will it work the same if i put a 2 inch pipe coming out of the air intake pipe and run it through the wall?

Hello

Wood Pellet Stove OAKs still like to have warm dry air coming into the stove for best results especially on very low heat settings.

I have a 15 foot OAK so the air is a little warmer and dryer by the time it goes into the stove. Still it could be better.

The DT-M vents are highly recommended for warming the intake air see link below:
http://www.selkirkcorp.com/WorkArea/showcontent.aspx?id=7872

do you have a picture of your oak..

Hello

The 15 foot 2" aluminum flex flue liner goes from the back of the house to the iron flange in back of the tiled wall behind the stove.
Then the Pre-Heater hose conects from the tiled wall to the stove.

Here are a few pics

Attachments

• PelletStoveBackplane&connection 110sc.jpg
    PelletStoveBackplane&connection 110sc.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 233
  • PelletStoveBackplane&connection 191sc.jpg
    PelletStoveBackplane&connection 191sc.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 215
  • PelletStoveBackplane&connection 196SC.jpg
    PelletStoveBackplane&connection 196SC.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 219
  • PelletStoveBackplane&connection 198sc.jpg