OAK Ridge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dieselscout80

Dec 2, 2011
SC
I bought a Oak Ridge fireplace insert and we are going to install it in our masonary fireplace.

The outlet of the insert is 12" x 8.125" which is about 96 square inches. Our chimney is lined with tile that is 11" x 10.25" which is about 110 square inches, but it looks it's not lined all the way down.

We are in South Carolina do we need to line our chimney?

How can I make an adapter to connect the insert to chimney pipe?

Attachments

• Oak Ridge 2.jpg
    Oak Ridge 2.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 848
  • Oak Ridge 4.jpg
    Oak Ridge 4.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 283
  • Oak Ridge Chimney.jpg
    Oak Ridge Chimney.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 313
It sounds like you'll definitely need to line the chimney. Get the chimney swept first.

I'm not sure if there is an adapter for this size. It will take some searching or having a custom adapter fabricated.

How big of a liner should I use?

The masonary chimney is about 13' tall.

I'm thinking 8", but if I could use 6" it would make it easier to get it through the masonary chimney's damper and it would be less money too.

I would go 8" on the liner. But then, truth be told, I wouldn't be installing an old stove.

I think I'm going to go with 6" for this reason. The exit of the insert is larger, but the opening to the exit is blocked by a plate that is mounted to back wall of the chamber at a 45° to the top of the chamber (closer to the front of the chamber on the top). This plate prevents looking straight out the top of the insert and creates two opening to the exit that are triangular shaped 4"x7", so the two openings when combined equal a 4"x7" rectangle with a area of 28 square inch just like six inch round pipe.

Would you insulate a liner in South Carolina note the existing masonry chimney is an exterior chimney see attached pic.

Here is some measurements of the insert and pics.

Door opening 13"x20"
Firebox width 23" minus firebrick
Firebox height 20.5" minus firebrick
Firebox depth 18" (front to back) minus firebrick
Firebrick thickness 1.25"

First pic is looking down through the insert's flue opening.Chimney.jpg WP_000653.jpg Oak Ridge Baffle.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.