oak rounds suddenly appear!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cold Is Dumb

Jul 28, 2013
Annapolis Maryland
Gotta love free, delivered, and (mostly) bucked...

A contractor tree service was trimming around the utility company's lines in the neighborhood. My neighbor spotted them and got them to drop some at my place and some at his. He took the cherry, gave me the oak. More coming tomorrow as they finish up the area.

Good friend to have, he'll be getting a 12 pack.

Added bonus, the utility company pays the contractor to trim the trees. The trees become fuel to heat my home. I pay less to the utility company to use their gas and electricity because they, in a round-about way, paid for my heating fuel. Take that, BGE!

firewood.jpg

Awesome score .. , oh wait it was delivered . Nothing like free wood :cool:

Nice score. Good friend too. Don't let the utility co. know your secret about burning the wood though:)

Looks great. What part of Annapolis are you in? I lived at Spa and Hilltop for years, and I am in the process of moving to Cape St Claire.

I'm about 3 blocks from the Navy stadium, and I drive Spa to Hilltop every time I go to the gym!

I've hung out in Cape quite a bit, nice area, big lots to hold plenty of firewood stacks! :) Good luck with the move, I'll let you know if I get into any scores that are beyond my limits.

I'm about 3 blocks from the Navy stadium, and I drive Spa to Hilltop every time I go to the gym!

I've hung out in Cape quite a bit, nice area, big lots to hold plenty of firewood stacks! :) Good luck with the move, I'll let you know if I get into any scores that are beyond my limits.

Wish I'd have known that. At the end of RAAM we park the RV at the Navy stadium then either walk or take the trolley to the dock. However, I do not plan on any more crewing for RAAM. Think I've done enough and so does the wife.

Reactions: Cold Is Dumb
Wish I'd have known that. At the end of RAAM we park the RV at the Navy stadium then either walk or take the trolley to the dock. However, I do not plan on any more crewing for RAAM.

Wow, that's a cool event, if you remain a part of it next summer, we'll be here! When you say "crewing" is that like the sag-wagon, or support for a team? That sounds like a great cross-country trip!

All riders need good crew. I've crewed for solo, 2-person and 4-person teams. Naturally it gets a bit more complicated with the 4-person teams. I have not done any crewing for an 8-person crew but was asked once. I don't think that would be much fun at all. Most will have a crew of from 12-20 or more. Typical is a 16 member team. One van for following the rider or riders. Another van to switch off. An RV for sleeping and cooking, etc. My task is usually RV captain so my duties were usually 16 hours on with 8 hours for sleep. I also basically tried to keep all things going smoothly in the RV which sometimes can get a bit, well, trying for sure. But there are good times too.

My last time, I flew into Baltimore then took a cab to the north side of the city to pick up a motor home. Then I drove to Knoxville where I met with one of the racers and picked up some gear. Then it was a straight shot to Oceanside, CA. Was there 2 days before the race started. We made it to Annapolis I think just a couple hours short of 7 days. Weather was a big factor on that race and we also had one racer who we had to put into a hospital overnight then gave him that whole extra day to recoup so that cost a few hours. But every crossing has its problems to solve.

Actually my worst nightmare on that trip was after the race. It was not a good connection getting home but when my wife picked me up at the airport around 12:30 am, I was very happy to see her and happy to get home. I promised her that was my last time.

Status
Not open for further replies.