Oak Rounds

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kenwit

Jan 2, 2010
long island
I have about 2 cords of red oak that was bucked 2 years ago. If I split this weekend will it be seasoned enough to burn this winter?

Well- I would never say never......but......I wouldnt bet the farm on it. Oak seasons VERY slowly (and unpredictably) and really doesnt drop in MC until being c/s/s for at least a year (preferably 2-3). Split some and let us know what you get. P.S. -where on the island are you?

Levittown and lovin it. :coolsmile:

I got hold of some oak rounds that had been cut about 4 years prior to my seeing them. When I split them they were a bear to split - ends were a bit mushy making the maul, then the fiskars stick into the end and just not want to split. After a lot of sweat and tears I got most of them split. Now the centers looked about as good as new wood - and just as wet. Amazing stuff. However, it likely also has a lot to do with how the rounds are stored during that time - in my case they were laying around on the ground in a fairly dense forest so they didn't get a good chance to really dry out. I imagine that had they been stacked off the ground in a dry sunny place it could have been different.

I would seriously doubt it, unfortunately. The bright side is that those rounds will split like a dream if you're splitting with a maul.

My guess would be that you would want to split them now . . . and wait at least another year.

I am in the midst of splitting some red oak rounds that were bucked two years ago and had been sitting in the sun the entire time, the bark is either falling or had fallen off and inside they are as wet as can be, amazingly wet, thankfully its not needed this year but WTF. Meanwhile the Locust from the same score is so nice, I am constantly admiring it and hoping to never need to burn it LOL.

ChrisNJ said:
I am in the midst of splitting some red oak rounds that were bucked two years ago and had been sitting in the sun the entire time, the bark is either falling or had fallen off and inside they are as wet as can be, amazingly wet, thankfully its not needed this year but WTF. Meanwhile the Locust from the same score is so nice, I am constantly admiring it and hoping to never need to burn it LOL.
Moisture content on stump is a lot lower with the locust.

2 cords of red oak that has been cut 2 years ago and not split I'd be very happy to split and let set another 2 years.

Well I split the wood yesterday and today. Looks to me that the wood was felled two weeks ago, not two years ago.

That sounds about normal. At least you know you will have some good wood in a year or three.

Status
Not open for further replies.