1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Oak Rounds!

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Pierre902, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Pierre902

Pierre902 Member

Loc:
    Western MA
    It's about time a posted a few pics of my wood situation. I am working on the next couple years wood and pulled some big white oak rounds out of my back woods this morning. More to come. Hard to exactly know when I will need this wood since this is my first year burning and I still can't guage how much I'll go through. I do know that you can never be too far ahead. At the very least I want to get any fresh rounds split and let them season for at least a couple years. This tree has was on the ground for at least a year but after cutting it, it is still noticably very wet and heavy. The stacks under my deck are mostly oak with some ash mixed in and are going on close to 2 years cut and split. securedownload.jpg securedownload2.jpg securedownload3.jpg

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. corey21

corey21 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Soutwest VA
    Nice work on getting ahead.
  3. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

Pierre902, nice work. Just grabbed my first Oak from a small scrounge weeks back, I'm looking forward on burning it in 2-3 years.

Nice Job
    Zap
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  4. TimJ

TimJ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southeast Indiana
    your're definately looking good on the wood Pierre
  5. Bacffin

Bacffin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    30 Miles Northwest of Boston
    I like the fact the stacks are under the deck and nice and close. Welcome to the forum btw. Newbee first year here too!:)
  6. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Very nice stacks.
    Nice set up, ATV & trailer.
    Never have to much fire wood.
    Keep stacking ;)
  7. Boom Stick

Boom Stick Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Capital Region, NY
    Real Nice! LIke the stacks under the deck
  8. red oak

red oak Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northwest Virginia
    Nice work! I stack under my deck also, can't beat the convenience!
  9. WellSeasoned

WellSeasoned Guest

Very nice setup. Way to go using that space. Nice pics
  10. fabsroman

fabsroman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Friendship, Maryland
    Nice use of that ladder. lol However, that makes a great rack to stack on. I stack about 1 cord under my deck and another cord just to the side of it. Might stack more under it over time, but want to see how much I burn this year (i.e., my first year burning) before I put 10 cords under there. Plus, a lot less wind and sun are getting through down there.
  11. Boog

Boog Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Ohio
    Nice loads Pierre. I too used to keep nice large stacks close to my house but after many years of doing it started to have serious ant problems everywhere. Not big carpenter ants, just the small "sugar" ones. I finally had to take a break at it and for the last 3 years have been stacking it well away from the house and shuttling load up as I need them once it gets cold in the fall. A little more work involved but my ant problem has disappeared. Do you have ant issues like that up in MA? We're not as bad as further down south, but here in NE Ohio we sure have our share of problems with them!
  12. Pierre902

Pierre902 Member

Loc:
    Western MA
    Thanks for the comments. No, I haven't had any ant issues. Prior to stacking the wood there I treated the base of the foundation up to the sill with some insect killer granules. So far so good.
  13. basswidow

basswidow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Milton GA
    Nice Bass Pierre! Stacks are nice too.

It's nice to have some firewood to split when the water gets hard! Splitting firewood has kept me sane when the fishing stops !
  14. JOHN BOY

JOHN BOY Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western Mountains ,NC
    Very nice ,you will really enjoy that oak ! Nice Bass too..:cool:
  15. Gark

Gark Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Michigan
    Good job! I keep thinking of stacked wood like " money in the bank". You have a good deposit there and it is gaining more value than the itty interest that dollars do these days. Oak here takes three years to be really righteous, BTW.
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  16. BIGDADDY

BIGDADDY Feeling the Heat

Just because its your first year burning wood and you are not sure how much you will go through doesn't mean you need to cut the entire forest down.

Very nice looking stacks. Keep up the good work.
    Pierre902 likes this.
  17. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Very nice Pierre. Most definitely that ash that is close to 2 years will by your best bet for burning this year. You also are to be congratulated in getting this much wood and getting it ahead of time for burning. Not many do that...
    Pierre902 likes this.