Oak score with potential for more

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flatbedford

Minister of Fire
Mar 17, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I few weeks ago I found an ad in the wanted section of my local Craig's List. Somebody was looking for downed hardwood trees to mill with his portable saw mill. I sent the guy a note offering to work with him. I figured if he does find wood that will work for his mill, there must be leftovers that would make fine firewood for me. We sent a few emails back and forth and agreed that we could work together. He located a Red Oak that had fallen from somebody's lawn, across a street and into the neighbor's lawn. The town cut the trunk that was across the road into two eight foot sections and put them on the lawn with a loader. The other stuff was cut. He used his monster Husky 3120 with about 36" bar and his Alaskan Mill to mill these boards.
DSC05856.jpg

We loaded and took the milled stuff to his house. Here's the left overs.
DSC05866.jpg

DSC05864.jpg

We worked together loading the old truck. Most of the rounds we either halved or quartered either with my Fiskars or Noodling with his Husky.
DSC05869.jpg

I got about a cord out of the deal. I could have taken more, but I didn't want to overload the old truck. I traveled about 40 minutes for this stuff, so I didn't want to beat up the truck too badly. Some day I'll get the rear springs redone and get some better radial tires for it so I can load it more and still feel safe driving it longer distances.
Here it is at home. Most of it has been partially split so there will be some drying before I get it down to stove size in the next few weeks. I guess this will be OK for '10/'11.
DSC05871.jpg

I forgot just how easy Oak splits. All I had to do was hold the Fiskars over the rounds and they split themselves. :)

I'm ship lap siding the house in the next few weeks and looking for something to dress up the windows and doors. His Oak planks would be perfect:)

Nice score BTW and those relationships are the best source of higher quality scrounges. I almost hate splitting Oak. I grew up in a house built in the early 1900s that was all natural Oak...seems almost a shame to burn it.

Wood Duck said:
I need a flat bed Ford.
If you were a little closer to me, I've got a '77 that will soon be looking for a new home. ;-)

"monster Husky 3120 with about 36” bar and his Alaskan Mill "

thats a bad boy saw and thats what it does best very impressive slabs!

I think you will be a lot happier if you save that oak for 2011/12!

wendell said:
I think you will be a lot happier if you save that oak for 2011/12!

Probably right on that. I may have enough other stuff on hand that I can wait. This will be my first winter with the Fireview, and we will try for 24/7, so I'm not sure how much of my 4 1/2 cords will be left over for 10/11. I have about 2 1/2 of Cherry and Maple for 10/11 already, we'll see...

Status
Not open for further replies.