Oak Scrounge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JSeery

Feeling the Heat
Feb 12, 2015
Irvington, NY
Saw some black oak on craigslist nearby. Long, straight small/medium logs I could quickly cut and throw in the car. Got there to see some guy beat me to the good stuff. Fair enough. There was a large twisted trunk he wasn't going to touch, and I already had my saw with me so I figured why not. Took a lot of cutting, noodling, some intermediate splitting to get chunks into the car, and two trips with the scrounge sedan. Some hard work for sure, but the Echo wanted a workout. The other guy was using an MS-291 and my CS-590 was cutting circles around him. I've never used one of those but it made me feel good about getting the Echo. I guess it just goes to show it's important how you maintain/use the saw.
IMG_0983.JPG

Always great when you get some good free wood! Now 2 to 3 years to season and it will be ready to burn!

Nice score, Extra points for having a scrounge sedan![emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Very nice...

Always great when you get some good free wood! Now 2 to 3 years to season and it will be ready to burn!
Yeah, this is going in my 19/20 pile. The plus side of having to split/noodle before i could get these into my car is that they should already start seasoning, but I'll split them down to stove size and stack this fall/winter.

Wow, you got that in a car in a few trips! I've been lucky enough to get standing dead so I was able to start feeding the stove the same year I got it. Good work.

Saw some black oak on craigslist nearby. Long, straight small/medium logs I could quickly cut and throw in the car. Got there to see some guy beat me to the good stuff. Fair enough. There was a large twisted trunk he wasn't going to touch, and I already had my saw with me so I figured why not. Took a lot of cutting, noodling, some intermediate splitting to get chunks into the car, and two trips with the scrounge sedan. Some hard work for sure, but the Echo wanted a workout. The other guy was using an MS-291 and my CS-590 was cutting circles around him. I've never used one of those but it made me feel good about getting the Echo. I guess it just goes to show it's important how you maintain/use the saw.View attachment 198774
Also whether the chain is sharp or not...