Oak seedlings from acorns??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

curber

Feeling the Heat
Oct 6, 2011
south east idaho
Well as some of you know we dont have many oaks in my neck of the woods.. My mom has 10 acres and she wants to turn it into pasture and also have some rows of diferent types of trees for wind and shade protection. So we were going to try to start some seedlings. So now hear the problem- you cant start a seedling without the acorn and the tree!! So I was wondering if theres anyone in a similler climate that would be willing to send me some acorns?? I would greatly appretiate it and I'll post the results. I can pay the shipping and even some for your time. I think I only need 10-15. Thanks in advance.. Pm me if interested. Pat

Too bad you're not around here! I have a twin oak on the edge of the lawn and other oaks all around and when they drop, look out below! No shortage around these parts. Sorry can't help you out.

Well I just looked up the planting zone info and there should be no reason why I cant plant some oaks hear. Just gota get some acorns. Guess I could trade someone some Idaho spuds!! lol Pat

Any of the local nurseries ever have any Oak saplings available? I lived in Idaho Falls for 3 years back in the early 1970's, and I do remember a mix of conifers and deciduous trees growing there just fine. A healthy sapling would put you a few years' ahead of trying to grow trees from acorns. Rick

fossil said:
Any of the local nurseries ever have any Oak saplings available? I lived in Idaho Falls for 3 years back in the early 1970's, and I do remember a mix of conifers and deciduous trees growing there just fine. A healthy sapling would put you a few years' ahead of trying to grow trees from acorns. Rick

Ive never seen an oak tree in the state. Mite just have to order a few saplings. Pat

I took a bushel of acorns up to the cabin two weeks ago, to put out for the raccoons, bears, deer, squirrels, and chipmunks. They are about the size of golf balls...I'd have gladly sent you some. The ones left here in Richmond now are either rotting or wormy. Maybe next year?

DanCorcoran said:
I took a bushel of acorns up to the cabin two weeks ago, to put out for the raccoons, bears, deer, squirrels, and chipmunks. They are about the size of golf balls...I'd have gladly sent you some. The ones left here in Richmond now are either rotting or wormy. Maybe next year?

K thanks for trying Dan.. Pat

IIRC the sucess rate on acorn planting is about 1:5000 or some crazy number like that. They are a monoecoius plant (both male and female on one tree) but I think the pollenation rate is low and the reproduction rate is even lower. You can give it a try but I would look into the planting requirements. Some seeds require a freeze treatment. some scarification and some both.

rwhite said:
IIRC the sucess rate on acorn planting is about 1:5000 or some crazy number like that. They are a monoecoius plant (both male and female on one tree) but I think the pollenation rate is low and the reproduction rate is even lower. You can give it a try but I would look into the planting requirements. Some seeds require a freeze treatment. some scarification and some both.

You may be referring to the chances that an acorn in the forest grows into an oak tree. Yes, the rate is very low in nature, but if you're planting and caring for them expect a much higher rate of success. Probably not every acorn will sprout, but I bet half will. I'd plant 10x the number of trees I want so I could select the best ones, but no need to plant 5000x the number you want.

I'd be more worried about what type of oak to plant. I think something from a midwestern savannah type climate would probably be best. Maybe you want to try Bur Oak - Quercus macrocarpa - which grows over much of the Dakotas. The climate in the Dakotas is a lot closer to yours than the climate in much of the east would be.

I'll have a million red oak acorns next summer in my yard. You can have all you want if you can wait till then?

I found out, kind of by accident, that they need to be overwintered to germinate. I had about 500 of them I collected 2 years ago and was going to put them out for the deer but forgot. So I just ended up dumping them by my barn. Later that fall I dumped some sand in the same spot. next spring there were hundreds of oak seedlings coming from that spot. So it seems to me is that all they need is to be planted in the fall and they should pop out the following spring.

Pat

I believe that oaks in the White Oak group have acorns that sprout in the fall as soon as they hit the ground. Oaks in the Red Oak group have acorns that have to overwinter before they germinate. That seems to be the case with the oaks around here.

Maples do good in ID, that's what I'd recommend if you want to see them mature in our lifetime . I am going to visit my dad in Feb I could dig a few oak seedlings while there . I know black walnut does good in the cold too

im in wv...have white oak and red oaks in my yard...they drop by the thousands in the fall....every spring when we are cleaning up the flower beds i pull up 50 or more little oak trees that have started to grow from the acorn..i know this because i pull it up and on the other end is an acorn...u let me know in the fall and ill send u a few hundred if u want

I just ordered a few seedlings. 3 white oak, one red and one live oak. The white are 3-4 feet tall so hope it works. I'll still try the acorns too. This is a large area so I'm going to have lots of room to plant a variety, There will be lots of locust too. Thanks Pat

steeltowninwv said:
im in wv...have white oak and red oaks in my yard...they drop by the thousands in the fall....every spring when we are cleaning up the flower beds i pull up 50 or more little oak trees that have started to grow from the acorn..i know this because i pull it up and on the other end is an acorn...u let me know in the fall and ill send u a few hundred if u want

Thanks I'll remember that. Pat

Curber . . . I've got a bunch of (I think) red oak acorns . . . they're all over-wintered . . . PM me your mailing address and I'll send you a bunch. I've been planting these in the area where I'm currently cutting since the family land where I cut doesn't have a whole lot of oaks . . . I'm more than happy to send some your way.

I'd pick more local hardwoods. I know there aren't many, but I guess I'm a native plant guy. Native plants are adapted better for native soil and climate anyway. I think that oaks will be a struggle

Good luck

Adios Pantalones said:
I'd pick more local hardwoods. I know there aren't many, but I guess I'm a native plant guy. Native plants are adapted better for native soil and climate anyway. I think that oaks will be a struggle

Good luck

I'm definantly going to have a good variety. It will be mostly local. It's 10 acres so I wana try some of everything. Thanks Pat

curber said:
steeltowninwv said:

Thanks I'll remember that. Pat

Sure, let me know by next July

A previous poster was correct:

White Oak Acorns - drive their tap root deep immediately in the fall

Red oak Acorns - need the cold stratification of the winter and drive the tap root in the spring.

I think either should grow just fine for you.

Gary_602z said:
Watch out for deer.

Gary

X2 if they don't eat the small ones they wait for the saplings to reach 6 or 8' and then rub the bark off them in the fall. Less then 1/4 of the small oak trees on my property will ever reach a size that will be impervious to deer damage.

Yeah I'll keep the 308 handy!! And some wire around them. Patrick

My only thought is - how long will it take to see some growth?

I've planted some acorns in my woods. I'm sure the deer, bear, or squirrels get them. I don't expect to see any results on them in my life, but perhaps future generations will. Oaks grow slow, don't they?

Status
Not open for further replies.