Oak slab wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
Just picked up a small trailer load of oak slab wood. Unfortunately its not good enough quality to save for anything but firewood. It was tough cutting it up. It was stored inside for a couple of years. CL free!

Save it for Jan. Doesnt burn as long as hedge but will run with the btu out put.

We've found the best or easiest way to cut up slab wood is to make a sawhorse. Some call this type of sawhorse the H design; some call it the alter! Made right you can stack maybe 10 or more slabs at a time and then cut those 10 all in one cut. I like to make it long enough to make 2-3 cuts before having to move the slabs. I've also seen people use a front end loader to stack slabs on and then cut. For real ease, a buzz saw works great but few have one.

I guess it really wasn't slab wood. It was rough cut lumber from an oak and cherry tree. I just cut it hanging off the trailer while I was off loading.

gzecc said:
I guess it really wasn't slab wood. It was rough cut lumber from an oak and cherry tree. I just cut it hanging off the trailer while I was off loading.

Ah, this makes sense . . . read your first post and was thinking, "It's slabs . . . what else would they make out of slabwood?" This makes a lot more sense when you say it was rough cut lumber.

Status
Not open for further replies.