Oak smells like POO

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading the first few responses made me think I was the only odd one that loves the smell of freshly cut/split red oak. Glad to know I'm not the only one with great tastes (smells?).

I like the smell, too. I wonder whether there's something genetic going on, like with cilantro (which tastes like soap to a significant fraction of the population).

Not unlike eating asparagus and then peeing. Though that is a weird combination of genetic factors. Only certain people with a specific gene can break down asparagus into their smelly components. On top of that, only those with another specific gene can smell the results of that chemical breakdown. What's more, they are separate genetic aspects, and the two "abilities" aren't always present or lacking in one person. Some can make it, but not smell it, some can make it and smell it (like me), some do not make it and still smell it (in SOs I presume), and some can do neither and wonder what the fuss is about.

I love the smell of red oak in the morning.

napalm.jpg
It smells like victory...

I did not read every response, so no flaming. Here is my 2 cents.

Oak can have a fungus or bacteria in it that smells like poo. It is called "piss oak". There is also "piss elm". There are varying degrees of stink-ness. I take a very good whiff after felling just so I know if I should store it inside or out. Clean, healthy oak smells great. I LOVE the smell of good oak. I have also had REALLY BAD piss oak. Had to burn the whole tree outside in a bonfire because it was so bad, and I don't waste wood! It smelled like raccoon crap and dog pee mixed with something nasty. BAD. I try not to mess with the bad stuff, but if it is tolerable, I keep it.

I hope this helps you guys out. It is not "bad" oak, but it does smell bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.