OAK Termination

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cuznvin

Nov 5, 2011
Long Island
Wanted to get an idea of what most of you are using at the end of the outside air connection. My installed used a metal dryer vent and punched holes in the flap. I dont feel this is providing enough airflow for the stove. Is there something specifically made for this?

I used a metal drier vent kit But removed the flap all together. I added chicken wire/screen over the outlet to keep the critters out.

To test it either remove the flap, Find something to just hold it open. If the stove roars to life? You have your answer.

Thanks J!!

j-takeman said:
I used a metal drier vent kit But removed the flap all together. I added chicken wire/screen over the outlet to keep the critters out.

To test it either remove the flap, Find something to just hold it open. If the stove roars to life? You have your answer.

What do you think about using this?

http://www.amazon.com/Deflecto-ACEU...S0QY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1322931200&sr=8-2

or this

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

cuznvin said:
j-takeman said:

What do you think about using this?

http://www.amazon.com/Deflecto-ACEU...S0QY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1322931200&sr=8-2

or this

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Those would work just fine.

You can use the bird guard, But I would only use a metal one. Under normal conditions the OAK doesn't get hot, But if you loose power it could as exhaust gases can exit the intake during these conditions. So its best to stay with none combustible components with anything in the intake path. Some stove manufacturer's actually specify it in the manuals.

Hmmm.. I dont see any metal ones.. These days everything has to be made out of plastic and in china!

j-takeman said:
You can use the bird guard, But I would only use a metal one. Under normal conditions the OAK doesn't get hot, But if you loose power it could as exhaust gases can exit the intake during these conditions. So its best to stay with none combustible components with anything in the intake path. Some stove manufacturer's actually specify it in the manuals.

Got it!

http://www.fieldsdevsupply.com/bird_control_supplies.html

j-takeman said:

Cuz- this is exactly what I did-
Home Depot in Riverhead is where I got mine...if you need some wire - let me know- I drop a square off at the stove store for you! :)

Ok.. Have to get this done..

pre made screens are too much money! cut a scrap piece of quarter inch hardware cloth (is made of metal) the size and shape of the opening to the vent, only cut it just a wee big larger. then align it to the hole and with gentle pressure, push it in. the cut ends of the wire mesh will grip the sides of the opening and there you have it. No critters getting in. Neat and clean, and cost is nothting is you have some scarp material. Never count on any plastic vent cover. The squirrels will chew their way in if they have set their mind to it.

save$ said:
pre made screens are too much money! cut a scrap piece of quarter inch hardware cloth (is made of metal) the size and shape of the opening to the vent, only cut it just a wee big larger. then align it to the hole and with gentle pressure, push it in. the cut ends of the wire mesh will grip the sides of the opening and there you have it. No critters getting in. Neat and clean, and cost is nothting is you have some scarp material. Never count on any plastic vent cover. The squirrels will chew their way in if they have set their mind to it.

I didnt even know what hardware cloth was until I googled it. Unfortuantely, I dont have any of that..

Home Depot has a 4 inch vent with a built in screen and flap and hood. I cut out the flap and it works great. You can find it in the HVAC section. $20.

I made the outside hole 4 inches, and the inside hole 3.5 inches. It is perfect for fitting the 3 inch duct the m55 requires. I made an inside wall plate out of a copper sheet with two flaps to bent inwards to screw the duct into.

He put in a 4 inch pipe though. Will it still fit?

4 inch aluminum duct that connects to the stove?

not sure about the m55 cast, but the steel version, which i have, used 3 inch. anyway, good thing i didn't make a 3 inch hole or use 3 inch vent, because the ridges in the aluminum duct make it very hard to work into. Better to have a little extra diameter space.

I have to say you may be better off buying the entire kit for OAK for pellets stoves. Buying all the parts, spending the time searching and imagining solutions, and then having to buy a few more tools, I spent about $100. the kit would have been $50.

But adding the wire to your vent is the best and cheapest way to go, i would guess. Have you posted pictures yet? cause you know, no pictures means it hasn't happened.

4 inch flexible pipe for the outside air...

Attachments

• enviro.jpg
    enviro.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 304
cuznvin said:
save$ said:

I didnt even know what hardware cloth was until I googled it. Unfortuantely, I dont have any of that..
Very cheap at the hardwear store. Use the left over to make collars around spring bulbs to keep them safe from being eaten.

cuznvin said:
4 inch flexible pipe for the outside air...
Vin
Are you sure the fresh air pipe is 4". I used 3" flexible tuubing for mine. I still havent covered it with anything yet

Im pretty sure thats what he told me...I know the manual says to use a minimum of 3 inches.

[quote author="cuznvin" date="1322970395"]Im pretty sure thats what he told me...I know the manual says to use a minimum of 3 inches.[/quote

I know for sure the adapter on the stove is 3". Ventingpipe.com has 3"oak for $42 .

Stove Looks good. Bout time you posted a pic.

kykel said:
cuznvin said:
Im pretty sure thats what he told me...I know the manual says to use a minimum of 3 inches.[/quote

I know for sure the adapter on the stove is 3". Ventingpipe.com has 3"oak for $42 .

Stove Looks good. Bout time you posted a pic.

This is what the back looks like.

Attachments

• P1000592.jpg
    P1000592.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 251
  • P1000593.jpg
    P1000593.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 265
  • P1000596.jpg
    P1000596.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 258
Vin
sure does look like 4". Should be getting plenty of fresh air.

Looking good, real good, Vin.

Though I am not sure why the installer used 4 inch duct instead of 3 inch. Maybe it will draft better.

The install looks complete, though. You just have to put a wire on the vent hood and a trim on the inside of the OAK duct. Congratulations.

Are you liking the heat? Hasn't been that cold in LI lately to really put it to the test. Gives you time to work out the issues.

Are you still smell smoke on start up?

What brand/type exhaust vent is that?

Status
Not open for further replies.