OAK VS NO OAK?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottyDaug

Dec 26, 2010
Maine
I bought my USSC 6041 PT at Tractor Supply. It came with an OAK. Do most of you use them? If so what are the advantages?

Yes, I don't suck my heated air with the stoves intake and force it outside. It also helped reduce drafts. Some stoves actually require it to be installed on the stove,

This may cause another OAK debate! Here we go again! :)

Been using one on the dragon since first fire.

It was one of the questions that helped sort out the stove dealers.

Dragon likes plenty of air, dragons owners say that is fine, but you aren't going to suck up the air from inside where it is warm and cause that cold stuff {tm} to be pulled into the house.

Yes. I have had one connected since my first fire with a pellet stove. As Smokey & Jay say above, without it, you are just sending air you already paid to heat right up the stove exhaust.

As of this writing, I know for a fact that Englander, Harman, Travis Industries (Lopi & Avalon), and US Stoves require an OAK on their stoves.

I'm sure there are other ones I've forgotten.

From the manual ( http://usstovecom.siteprotect.net/Downloads/Owners Manuals/6041.pdf )of your stove on page 11:1. For installations with horizontal through-the-wall exhaust, it is strongly recommended that the heater combustion
air be connected to the outside. If the home is newer or has been tightly insulated, it is required to install outside
combustion air.
2. Connection to outside the house is REQUIRED for mobile home installations. We strongly urge use of the 69FAK
Fresh Air Kit.

I am one of "those" OAK converts, sort of like the smoker who became a non-smoker, now a very strong OAK advocate and prejudiced.
You might want to enter OAK into the "search forums" block in the upper left. Last two months should give a variety of threads that will help you with your decisions.
Enjoy your stove. Please consider posting pictures when you get it up and running. Also good to talk about what you are burning and what works best for you. Thanks and Happy New Year!

Thanks for the replies. I have decided to install the OAK. The installation of the OAK on the USSC 6041 PT was a little interesting. I had to reread the instructions multiple times to make sure of what they was saying. It requires you to pull off the side panel. I removed the back one as well for easier access. Then remove the burn pot. Under the burn pot there is a cap over the fresh air port. It needs to be knocked off by inserting a screwdriver into the port from the rear of the stove and hitting it with a hammer. Then four 5/32" holes need to be drilled into it. Reinstall the cap. Then hook a piece of the flexible pipe using two hose clamps from the back off the burn pot pot to the stove inlet. I can envision lots of folks just hooking up the pipe from the burn pot the the outlet. Never realizing that without the holes in the cap the OAK is completely non functioning. Thanks again for all the input guys. This site had been a wonderful asset.

ScottyDaug said:
Thanks for the replies. I have decided to install the OAK. The installation of the OAK on the USSC 6041 PT was a little interesting. I had to reread the instructions multiple times to make sure of what they was saying. It requires you to pull off the side panel. I removed the back one as well for easier access. Then remove the burn pot. Under the burn pot there is a cap over the fresh air port. It needs to be knocked off by inserting a screwdriver into the port from the rear of the stove and hitting it with a hammer. Then four 5/32" holes need to be drilled into it. Reinstall the cap. Then hook a piece of the flexible pipe using two hose clamps from the back off the burn pot pot to the stove inlet. I can envision lots of folks just hooking up the pipe from the burn pot the the outlet. Never realizing that without the holes in the cap the OAK is completely non functioning. Thanks again for all the input guys. This site had been a wonderful asset.

Wouldn't you just love to slap the guy who wrote that manual? I think he write's 'em all...

ScottyDaug said:
.....Then four 5/32" holes need to be drilled into it. Reinstall the cap. Then hook a piece of the flexible pipe using two hose clamps from the back off the burn pot pot to the stove inlet.......

My immediate question is, if you don't install an OAK, where does the air for combustion come from?????

Eventually outside unless you have some device in your home that makes air. And no I am not talking device that makes hot air because I know many of us already have them...... shh mine just walked by.

Imacman,

It appears that the combustion air without the OAK comes from the draft slide. The OAK intake is located under the firebox and above the draft slide, so it appears that its always getting the predetermined amount of outside combustion air from the four 5/32" holes.

Status
Not open for further replies.