Oak vs Pine seasoning time... (we have it all wrong)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DexterDay

Well, according to this video. Oak takes 6-9 months to season....... And Pine takes 2 years to season.

And.... To make it even better. He says it doesnt matter what type of wood you burn. They are all the same BTU when "dry".... (read the comments on the video. LOL)

He even uses the 20% M/C within the video.... We were all wrong... My Oak is ready ;) j/k

I gotta agree about one pound of dried pine having equal BTU's to one pound dried oak. The other thing though - drying time - is backwards. A bajillion posts in the woodshed say that oak takes longer than any other to dry. OOPS... Take-two!!

I agree about the pound for pound also.. But you can only get X amount of pine, compared to X amount of Oak.

The seasoning thing.............. Ha ;)

I think pound for pound all woods are about the same in BTU content. The difference is density - a piece of oak is heavier than a piece of pine of the same dimensions. I don't know what to make of the idea that oak dries faster than pine. Nobody who has ever actually dried both would agree with that.

I know for a fact oak doesnt season in 6-9 months, I found that out the hard way, it takes two years and thats if its in a good spot.

Another "U-Tube" pro.
But just wrong.
1st time a "utube" video has been wrong. LOL :)

Didn't watch the video but pine is a whole nother animal after two years on the stacks. Burns longer and slower. Found it out by accident a few years ago and I now dry mine for at least two years.

I read the wood dries faster split. I have been gathering some big oak rounds, bark falling off, all cut over a year ago, so says the person that gave them to me. One load that was cut 9/2011, and 2 others in 2010. If I was to get a moisture meter do those things work? And what should it read?

Did you notice his "handle"? Firefighterknowledge. Hmm, I wonder if Jake knows him?;lol

What? You guys didn't like the video I made? ;) :)

HehHeh . . . I'm too fat, balding and ugly to make youtube.com videos.

What? You guys didn't like the video I made? ;) :)

HehHeh . . . I'm too fat, balding and ugly to make youtube.com videos.

And you know a whole lot more than the guy in the video.

Status
Not open for further replies.