OAK with a shut off Valve?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

phatfarmerbob

Jan 10, 2011
hudson valley ny
Im thinking of installing an OAK on the Oslo and was wondering if anyone ever put a valve in the line so that you could shut off the air in case of an over fire. just fishing for some feedback... thanks all!!!

I put a positive shutoff on my OAK but not for the reason you mentioned. My flue continues to draw even with no fire and in extreme cold, the stove will get all frosty.

This is something I researched and found that grainger sells an in line damper, and the sliding door can be adjusted with a screw that is on it. They are alittle pricey, but have solid products. Both good points with ever needing to close off the air and keeping out the frost. I think that closing the oak with a damper would only go so far since it isn't "sealed" to the back of my castine. It has 3 screws holding it to the stove, but air could still enter.

I wonder if there is a remote controlled damper you could install in an oak and just leave your air control wide open and control the stove with the remote controlled oak? Maybe even install some kind of heat senser controlled damper?

Most of the newer stoves have more than just the OAK in the way of combustion supply air. Nc30 has primary air that can be hooked to an oak,secondaries are fed from a small rectangular intake above and behind that point, also there are a couple of intakes for the air wash up towards the front corners where the legs go- pedestal hides these. I have another stove from about 2000 that also has multiple intakes. So in either case the damper controls on the units never completely close off all the combustion air supply. There was a thread where one of the guys took a compressed air supply and started puffing around his stove just find all the intakes, forget name of stove but he was a bit surprised at what he found, bottom line is our so called sealed fire boxes are not all that air tight by design.

Status
Not open for further replies.