OAK with straight out ventilation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thadd677

Nov 29, 2013
CT
This past winter was my first with our pellet stove. I went with a straight out ventilation so it terminates horizontally. I did not run an OAK and would like to next season. The only problem I'm seeing is that my OAK cap would have to be next to the exhaust cap. I would like to put it way below but don't have the room. I'm guessing that it's sometimes going to suck up some smoke during start-up. I'm assuming this won't be good for the combustion?

Does anyone have experience with this type of configuration?

My OAK on the P61A is right next to the exhaust & I've had no issues.
I ran 2"PVC thru the wall & glued a 2" 90 degree elbow on the end, aimed down.
Granted, the cap is about 18" out from the wall & the bottom of the 90 is maybe 4" out.

Last edited:
This past winter was my first with our pellet stove. I went with a straight out ventilation so it terminates horizontally. I did not run an OAK and would like to next season. The only problem I'm seeing is that my OAK cap would have to be next to the exhaust cap. I would like to put it way below but don't have the room. I'm guessing that it's sometimes going to suck up some smoke during start-up. I'm assuming this won't be good for the combustion?

Does anyone have experience with this type of configuration?

I was in exactly the same situation two weeks ago, didn't even have room to use the larger thimble with built in oak. Cannot say exactly how this is going to work, but here is a quote from the Harman install manual:

The pipe should be run outside and terminate to the side or below the vent pipe outlet so the flue outlet is more than 12" from the inlet cover.

Hers is a couple photos of my install, hope it helps you.

100_0995.JPG 100_0997.JPG

Isn't there a pipe that is a 2 in 1 type thing with the oak? With the oak and exhaust ran in the same pipe so all you have to do is replace the current pipe and not drill a 2nd hole?

Status
Not open for further replies.