OAK

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sawdust1

Nov 9, 2008
Western MA
Would it be OK to have the OAK pull the air from the garage? I ask this because the wall that I would go through is right next to the garage. I have a lenox montage with no OAK at this time. Thanks in advance.

If your garage is like mine, it's unheated and not sealed very well. If so, you can definitely pull OAK air from there.

This is probably against code anywhere.
The danger is, if there are gasoline fumes in the garage and they get pulled into the stove, you could have a "rapid expansion of gasses" (explosion). The expansion might even push back into the garage and ignite the fumes in there.
In short, a bad idea.

^ what he said.. Bad idea..

Agree, it's a code violation and puts the family at risk for kaboom

All this OAK talk has got me thinking, I never had one or even none of my pellet burning buddies have one either, I have a insert really no way to hook it up unless I drill a 2" hole thru the chimney liner and brick wall, not a good idea for resale value of my house, another problem is whitfield's have a box with a round hole then the OAK tube goes to back of stove, never saw a plug or told otherwise, I would think hooking up outside air with the hole is worthless, why did Whitfield design that hole?
But I do feel serious drafts sitting on the couch, also having a forced air heating system along with a 45 degree cellar duct setup cold air is getting sucked up stairs as i can feel it with my hand in the coldest days.

Pull it from the chimney if you can. Mine goes to the top and pulls it the entire length. Others just run it up after the block up plate.

Reactions: RayD
All this OAK talk has got me thinking, I never had one or even none of my pellet burning buddies have one either, I have a insert really no way to hook it up unless I drill a 2" hole thru the chimney liner and brick wall, not a good idea for resale value of my house, another problem is whitfield's have a box with a round hole then the OAK tube goes to back of stove, never saw a plug or told otherwise, I would think hooking up outside air with the hole is worthless, why did Whitfield design that hole?
But I do feel serious drafts sitting on the couch, also having a forced air heating system along with a 45 degree cellar duct setup cold air is getting sucked up stairs as i can feel it with my hand in the coldest days.
I heard the reasoning of the pseudo fresh air was that if the intake got plugged the stove would not have issue with getting air:-

Status
Not open for further replies.