OAKS and snow

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ghandy131

Oct 14, 2011
Central MA
Be careful tonight. With a lot of blowing snow the OAK inlet may get buried or clogged and choke your stove. I leave the ash drawer on my 10 CPM open a crack to ensure a steady flow of oxygen.

Reactions: woodmakesheat
Good reminder. While it's always possible, I'm not too worried about mine - it's over 5 feet off the ground, but does face the prevailing wind. So, as always, I'm keeping an eye on my fire.

No snow here, just cold.

Be careful tonight. With a lot of blowing snow the OAK inlet may get buried or clogged and choke your stove. I leave the ash drawer on my 10 CPM open a crack to ensure a steady flow of oxygen.
More important, keep the exhaust outlet unburied, for those of you with low exhaust vents!!!

My exhaust and OAK are 8' off the ground.

that's one thing i've been worried about since my oak comes out of the rim joist, but we only have like 3 inches of snow so no problem yet.

I knew I saw a post about this yesterday. Even though my OAK inlet is too high to get covered by snow, the blowing horizontal snow clogged up/froze on the screen and then my burnpot filled up with partially burned pellets. Very annoying. I removed the OAK tube to allow the stove to run off of inside air and let the stove burn up what was in the pot and shut it off. I vacuumed the stove, then reversed my ash vac and blew the OAK tube from the inside. I saw stuff blow off the screen and the stove ran fine after cleaning and reconnecting the OAK. Next blizzard I'm either going to disconnect it and run off of inside air or cut the screen mesh so it has larger openings.

I knew I saw a post about this yesterday. Even though my OAK inlet is too high to get covered by snow, the blowing horizontal snow clogged up/froze on the screen and then my burnpot filled up with partially burned pellets. Very annoying. I removed the OAK tube to allow the stove to run off of inside air and let the stove burn up what was in the pot and shut it off. I vacuumed the stove, then reversed my ash vac and blew the OAK tube from the inside. I saw stuff blow off the screen and the stove ran fine after cleaning and reconnecting the OAK. Next blizzard I'm either going to disconnect it and run off of inside air or cut the screen mesh so it has larger openings.

I've found with my 10CPM if I open the ash drawer a smidge if expecting snow it is a lot easier than disconnecting the OAK. Fire burns great and doen't get snuffed out overnight.

thought of this post while i was out late this afternoon digging the car out and clearing the spot the generator goes if needed.

oak was clear by a large margin.
it's always been clear, so i tend to be maybe too relaxed about it.
i think if the wind had been from a different direction, it would have been at least closer to the intake.

i think we would have to get three feet and have drifting to reach mine.
but i was glad to remember to check.

Don't know how you guys put up with this snow stuff.
Glad we never see it over 1" deep.
THey are showing the current US storms on the telly, looks really bad.

This morning I heard from a few folks in CA and TX, apparently the wild-eyed non-stop-coverage wasn't just the local TC channels.

Guess it was a slow news day there too?

I'd gripe about snow, but we don't have Fire or Mudslide seasons (yet), and our insects and critters aren't trying to kill us (yet).

Back to topic, the OP's point is why I went through some extra effort to poke my OAK into a shed built under my deck - same place the oil furnace draws from. Would have been a snow/ice concern if I'd done what the general retail installer would do.

Cheers!
- Jeff

I've found with my 10CPM if I open the ash drawer a smidge if expecting snow it is a lot easier than disconnecting the OAK. Fire burns great and doen't get snuffed out overnight.

I guess that creates a "sharing" situation between the outside air and inside. It's easier for me to just reach around back and slide the hose off. I don't clamp it, seems like there's no need to. I suppose I might open the ash drawer slightly next overnight blizzard for piece of mind. Either that or just disconnect and plug the OAK before I got to bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.