OAK's On Englanders

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
None I've seen. Certainly not modern EPA stoves, maybe a 35:1 exempt stove? Those extra inlets would make operation more difficult and emissions testing more challenging. Do you remember the brand?

This thread has been very informative. Thanks to all that posted...............especially Mike!!! Looks like an OAK is gonna happen for my 13NC. I'd like to try to keep as much of the heated inside air in the house as I can. No sense in the stove having to pull cold outside air into my house from all the cracks etc. to make up for what goes up the chimney. With as much as I have to let the dogs out for "their business", and me going in and out, I believe I get plenty of "new" air in the house.

Do you know this for a fact or are you taking a SWAG?? Reason I ask, is for the "blow torch" effect from the dog house when damped down. It's pulling some air through!!

No SWAG.. Look at the 3" inlet on your stove. Stick a finger in there. There is a pretty significant gap there. Much bigger than the small hole in the doghouse.

Try breathing through a straw. Then try breathing through 1" PVC pipe. The straw is smaller and may feel like air is being blown out rather fast (your blowtorch) but isnt the CFM that the larger tube will give you.

OAK's make sense in almost every application. Some are easier installed than others due to location.

No SWAG.. Look at the 3" inlet on your stove. Stick a finger in there. There is a pretty significant gap there. Much bigger than the small hole in the doghouse.

Try breathing through a straw. Then try breathing through 1" PVC pipe. The straw is smaller and may feel like air is being blown out rather fast (your blowtorch) but isnt the CFM that the larger tube will give you.

OAK's make sense in almost every application. Some are easier installed than others due to location.

Had I waited just a bit longer, I wouldn't have replied directly to your post, because Mike explained it quite well shortly afterward. If I came off sounding crude, that wasn't my intent......................just looking for info with minimal typing!!! Thanks!!

Had I waited just a bit longer, I wouldn't have replied directly to your post, because Mike explained it quite well shortly afterward. If I came off sounding crude, that wasn't my intent......................just looking for info with minimal typing!!! Thanks!!

No crudeness taken ;)

But if you really look in the inlet, it should be pretty clear which will pull more air.

Shut down on a newer EPA unit, is not the "Shut down" on an old Airtight (using loosely). :) There is still quite a bit of air coming in.

As always. Thanks Mike. Your the man

I can only speak for my 30, but the glass and door are sealed up tight. The airwash air is directed to the top of the glass through a pathway inside of the stove. I'm pretty sure other EPA stoves are like that too. I would think that direct openings in the door would make the stove too hard to control.

-SF

Status
Not open for further replies.