oatmeal on a manchester

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

islandfarmer

Apr 18, 2015
new york
HI
I am looking at getting a hearthstone manchester, and want to know if anybody has experience cooking on top of one. Does the air gap between the top and fire box make it the top too cool to cook on?

Also has any one had to do maintenance on their manchester?

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome. I don't know for sure but it looks like the Manchester's is strictly a convection top.If so, boiling water or milk is not likely to happen on top of the stove.

If you want to make oatmeal, I would treat it as a double boiler and not expect much at less than 20 minutes. I know the box will not have any instructions for long heating times but 20 minutes at over 180ºF will make decent enough oatmeal. Do not expect to see any progress that actually requires boiling in your pot.

If there is a chance you are going to use the rear vent, then the top vent block-off might make a decent hot plate. If that is a chance, I would email them and ask the question. My Heritage is rear vented and the plate on top has direct exposure to exhaust gas but I do not know if that one would be the same.

HI
I am looking at getting a hearthstone manchester, and want to know if anybody has experience cooking on top of one. Does the air gap between the top and fire box make it the top too cool to cook on?

Also has any one had to do maintenance on their manchester?

220.jpg

+
R930AW_Overview.ashx

BloggPhoto_4022_84734.jpeg

Just bustin the new guy a little.;);lol;lol;lol.

Welcome islandFarmer.:)

I simmer steel cut oats for 15 minutes on my kitchen stove. I'd go with those rather than quick or old fashioned oats, and I'd use a cover for the pot. I usually leave the top slightly ajar.

Only issue that I might expect is that if you have any boil over, cleanup will be a challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.