Observations of stupid things people do

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Those "stupid things people do" keeps my hubby in his job (fire fighter):) . Came home one night shaking his head about a pellet stove install, used dryer vent for the exhaust. Saved the house but lost the wall where the stove was "installed", not sure how much smoke damage, no one injured. Even the worst manuals provide clear details for install ... don't get it:(

FWIW i applaud the fine work of your hubby and firefighters everywhere, we in the industry would prefer a different catalyst to set them in motion

As always, another person who really did not take the time to learn about what she was getting into, but what really makes her stupid in my mind is she was also really nasty too. Noramlly I wouold have laughed it all off, but with this one I would have given it back to her full bore in the end. Let her get her lawyer all she wants.

was thinking it really loud the whole phone call but one has to show some degree of decorum in my job, even if the person on the other end does not. heck the lawyer thing doesnt bother me, we have them too. ive had customers actually threaten to drive down here and kick my "fanny" i ask if they need directions.(politely) :mad: and remind them to bring the stove so we can fix it for them. by the time the sheriff lets them go we should have it up and running properly;)

Thanks guys for some great chuckles. Mike, you're stories are great but I have to say the one with the wood stove venting on the ceiling takes my cake. Wow.

lol, yeah, that was pretty special (and honestly, a true story) it can be scary sometimes.

had a guy call in once with a stove with a "lazy fire" said was hooked up by the book, asked about the venting , response as described was no problem (chimney installation into a 6 inch flue single story) asked about the oak, guys says "youre gonna love this" (i cringe) was routed as follows; 2 inch PVC off the back of the stove to the wall, 90 down to the floor , 90 to the right runs about 5 ft comes to doorway elbows up, runs to top of doorway across elbows down back to floor then to corner of room elbows around corner another few ft below a window, elbow up elbow out through a pane he removed and finally one more elbow to keep the rain out total of 10 ninety degree elbows , all done in 2 inch PVC total run was like 30 ft of total pipe.

had the guy disconnect the OAK and you could literally HEAR the exhaust blower pick up, guy looks , says "the stoves burnin like a sonofagun!" we ended up having the guy go down into his crawlspace and route a 3 inch metal straight over under the house and out was only about 10 ft or so long and with 3 inch it pulled fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.