Observations of Tractor Supply's new kinetic splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinG

Aug 10, 2010
Lancaster County, PA
I was at Tractor Supply this past Saturday and they were demoing the new SpeedPro splitter (Super Split clone). This splitter was high on my "want" list but I came away disappointed.

First, to engage the ram, you have to push a large button with one hand then push down on a level with the other. It's a rather awkward motion, combining a side-step to the right with a twist and push. It keep the operator out of harm's way, which is the point, I suppose. But it also interferes with the flow of handling the wood.

Second, the ram is really really fast. In fact, it's just too fast for me. When the lever engages, you can hear the gears grind briefly before they mesh. And the ram flies out so fast that you just wouldn't have any time to pull your hand back if it were in the wrong place. Some machines operate with a smooth precision that enables a rhythmic work flow. This is not one of those machines. The gears grind and the ram smashes into the wood with a fury. Splinters and wood splits go flying. Perhaps I would get adjusted to it after a while but I split with my sons (ages 11 and 14) and I see this as a crucial safety issue.

I really wanted to like this splitter as I've been watching the local craiglist ads for a Super Split for the past year. But the combination of it being a new splitter design for Speeco, awkward operation motions, and the safety issues from the super-fast ram are pushing me back toward the tried-and-proven hydraulic designs.

Get a Splitfire instead!

The biggest problem I have with these splitters is you have to pick the rounds up off the ground. My back doesn't agree with that.

I've never used a splitter that could split vertically although I've seen them in action. Maybe I should rent one for a day and see how it goes.

Do you split exclusively in vertical? Or just until you bust the big pieces into a manageable size?

KevinG said:
I've never used a splitter that could split vertically although I've seen them in action. Maybe I should rent one for a day and see how it goes.

Do you split exclusively in vertical? Or just until you bust the big pieces into a manageable size?

Yes vertical only. It makes no sense to me to have to lift the logs up off the ground at their heaviest condition.

On the other hand, bending over 4 times as much to pick up the splits might not be good for back either.

I would like to see one in operation. You might have to lift some logs but the splits stay in the split table if they need resplit which would save the back. I have read where some people have defeated the two handed operation with just a zip tie, but it is a safety feature. The speed is the impressive part, a guy in the wood business said he can do a whole dump truck in about two hours. So far at TSC the reviews are all 5 out 5 stars with some saying they have the 22 ton MTD and calling it a thing of the past.

velvetfoot said:
On the other hand, bending over 4 times as much to pick up the splits might not be good for back either.

I sit on a round. Roll a few close by, split and throw into a pile while sitting. Splits are much lighter as it is.

Halve or quarter your big rounds then go back to horizontal if your back says NO! to vertical splitting. I know plenty of people of split vertical only and do just fine, but I can do things horizontal that are awkward or impossible/impractical vertical. Take a 10" round, pop it in half, back the wedge off and join the halves again. Then split it in thirds perpendicular to the first split. 6 Splits in 3 strokes (usually partial strokes at that) While that is possible vertical, I'm twice as fast at it with a log cradle/table and in horizontal mode.

I like the wedge on the cylinder too as I don't have to gather up my splits to perform manuevers similar to the above.

Do what your body will let you do comfortably.

FWIW I prefer fast cycling hydraulics to kinetic machines for safety reasons as well.

MasterMech said:
Halve or quarter your big rounds then go back to horizontal if your back says NO! to vertical splitting. I know plenty of people of split vertical only and do just fine, but I can do things horizontal that are awkward or impossible/impractical vertical. Take a 10" round, pop it in half, back the wedge off and join the halves again. Then split it in thirds perpendicular to the first split. 6 Splits in 3 strokes (usually partial strokes at that) While that is possible vertical, I'm twice as fast at it with a log cradle/table and in horizontal mode.

I like the wedge on the cylinder too as I don't have to gather up my splits to perform manuevers similar to the above.

Do what your body will let you do comfortably.

FWIW I prefer fast cycling hydraulics to kinetic machines for safety reasons as well.

+1 .... I know the debate will go on - vertical vs. horizontal - but for me and my back, sitting on a round( or milkcrate,Dennis) is an absolute no-no. I cant sit on ANYTHING without a reclined back support. I cant even drive the pick-ups at work that only have bench seating - they dont recline enough.
And as KOOL and fast as those kinetic machines go- there just seems to be way too much speed and potential for accidents. My son is 14 and I feel very comfortable having him run the 22 ton Huskee, but that kinetic -- no way.

mhrischuk said:
KevinG said:

Yes vertical only. It makes no sense to me to have to lift the logs up off the ground at their heaviest condition.
Everyone has their own system but I split horz. because I take the wood off of the pickup right to the splitter, no bending over so works well for me.

Mine has brackets that handle splits pretty well, so while I have to bend over and pick them up, second splits are handld by shoving the woood around from the brackets. Mine goed horizontal or vertical- which I use for large rounds and for splitting 40" long stuff that I'm not burning in the house

Everyone has their own system but I split horz. because I take the wood off of the pickup right to the splitter, no bending over so works well for me

That's how I do it, works great.

I did not see the demo of the splitter but I am good friends with the guy that ran it for my local Tsc and he said if the logs are to small the speed the ram comes out at shoots the logs up in the air I have a 35ton huske from there that has a 13husky sec time which is fast enough for me and half the time I don't even run the cylinder all the way down I can pull the log apart bfore that point

mhrischuk said:
velvetfoot said:

I sit on a round. Roll a few close by, split and throw into a pile while sitting. Splits are much lighter as it is.

Some of us with BAD backs prefer horizontal.

#1 - the repetitive bending and picking things up off the ground does the majority of harm for me as well as sitting...hurts after a short time

#2 - When I get a load of rounds, I either grab them out of my trailer and split or I stack them. The only real bending here is to pick up the rounds from the ground to split. The other rows of logs do not require that much bending, if at all, to grab for splitting.

#3 - I have a splitting table on the side of the splitter so the splits don't fall to the ground. I either throw in my trailer, located just to the side of the splitter or I stack right there.

#4 - I don't have any problem lifting logs/weight as long as it is not ridiculous. I'd rather lift carry the logs and stand upright when i split. I have seen some horizontal splitters that are actually too low for me. My MTD sits at just the right height. I am still a strong man, just the back doesn't like a few things I do to it.

#5 - for large logs, those get done vertically. You have to bend to roll them to the splitter as well as bending a bit while splitting as well as moving them around when split...all bad for George's back

I watched some videos on kinetic splitters on youtube...
Look pretty nice, have their pros and cons.
They seem to use the same concept as an Ironworker.

Over the years here I have said that a relatively slow cycle time does not bother me at all. When it is my hand involved. Many years ago while working on a helicopter a piece moved faster than that splitter ever could and almost took all the fingers off of one hand. I have appreciated slower moving machinery every since then.

Status
Not open for further replies.