Obsurn 2200 - Baffle Removal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeePee

Nov 15, 2008
Mississauga, Ontario
Temperatures around these parts are starting to drop, time to get maintenance done!

In preparation for chimney sweeping, I need to remove the baffle boards from my Osburn 2200 insert. The secondary burn tubes came out easily, but I cannot figure out how to get the baffles or the front baffle support out. The space above the baffles is very limited and I'm not sure how much manipulation the boards can take before they are damaged. The unit is composed of four separate pieces that are stacked.

Has anyone else been through this process?

Osburn 2200 Manual

Thanks!

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    24.3 KB · Views: 818
  • Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    20.8 KB · Views: 786
I went and split some wood for a while and then gave it another go. The trick was to lift the baffle boards up as high as possible and then slide the front baffle support all the way to the left. At this point I was able to free the right hand side and then pull it down and out. Removing the baffles was accomplished by tilting the back and side edges up and sliding them towards the center of the stove.

Reactions: cygnus
I thought removing the baffle would be easy :-S Thankfully, after reading this thread, it was! Thanks.

For those who come after me, I just came across a tidbit in the manual I had missed. The secondary air tubes have holes varying in size as follows:

Front to Back
1) .156" (5/16)
2) .14" (9/64)
3) .14" (9/64)
4) .125 (1/8)

Looks like I replaced mine in the wrong order. You can just about make out the size differences visually but I used the corresponding sized drill bits to be sure which were which.

Now I'm just wondering why the larger holes (more air) goes in front..hmmmm?

It looks like the newer 2200's use 2 vermiculite baffle boards - my (older) freestanding 2200 stove uses a 5-firebrick baffle. It appears the top layer of the baffle, and everything else is pretty much the same.

I drop the front tube, slide the front baffle support a bit to side and drop it (just as you described), then tilt the baffle boards up at the back and slide them out. I usually manage to get this done with only the front tube removed, but it might be a bit different with the 2 wider baffles to contend with. The tubes definitely need to go back in the proper order (if you take them all out) - if I recall, largest holes in front, next 2 (same size holes) in the middle, then last (smallest holes) in the back. Not sure if this is typical across other EPA stoves.

I don't usually damage anything while removing and replacing baffels, but last year I sat the thinner top baffle plates on the floor beside the stove while I was cleaning things up, just long enough for our pups to run by and step on one. My bad. Only one local dealer with Osburn parts in stock, otherwise would have been waiting a few days for new parts to ship. Careful when handling the vermiculite boards...

Status
Not open for further replies.