Occasional grinding noise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AccentraRRT

Burning Hunk
Mar 1, 2014
Massachusetts
I have a one year old Harman Accentra stand alone. Did a full clean out approximately a week ago.
Today I started hearing an occasional grinding noise which I assume is the coming from the auger. I do not hear the noise on every feed cycle however..
Nothing looks abnormal as far as the pellets I am using (green supreme).
Any thoughts on what this could be?

Could be carbon build up on auger tube. Scrape it off with a flat blade screwdriver. Common irritant with the bottom feeders. Could try and do a high fire for awhile to possibly burn it off too.

I have a one year old Harman Accentra stand alone. Did a full clean out approximately a week ago.
Today I started hearing an occasional grinding noise which I assume is the coming from the auger. I do not hear the noise on every feed cycle however..
Nothing looks abnormal as far as the pellets I am using (green supreme).
Any thoughts on what this could be?
I went through the same thing a couple of weeks ago burning LG. First, there are some very long pellets in the mix of those. Second they produced the hardest carbon glaze I have yet to experience on the burn pot. My p61 is also a year old. At the time I was burning in room temp auto. This grinding would happen after shut down and re starting. And like you not every time, not every cycle by any means but on occasional start up. I ended up mixing the LG with other pellets and have not had the problem since. I don't know if this was the long pellets or the glaze, piece of carbon getting caught in the auger screw. But it sounded like the auger ingested a stone and it was getting ground up in there. One time it was so bad I almost pulled the plug before a gear got stripped or some other damage occurred. Anyway, gone now running smooth on different pellets.

Status
Not open for further replies.