Occasionally burning coal in a wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

schatham

Oct 27, 2008
VA
I've got a Fisher wood stove - a Mama Bear model, I believe (it's a single door, with the handle on the left side, a screw-driven draft on the left side, and an after-market temperature selectable draft on the right side).

I'd like to use some coal I've got around the house as a fuel for it. I can say that as of right now, my plans would be maybe to load a lump or two of it at night in there, or while I'm gone during the day, more or less as a mix with wood. I know that a coal fire can & will be much hotter than a wood fire, so I would be looking at it only as a supplement to what I'm burning now.

Again - my only intention is as to burn a little coal along as a supplement to what I burn now.

Any drawbacks to this?

I'm not able to find anything on Fisher wood stoves, so I don't really know the temperature ratings on these.

Also, as an alternative fuel, I am looking for something to supplement the wood I am burning now - mostly hardwood. Anything cost-effective (i.e. cheap) but good? Can't depend on the junk mail to supply with a steady stream this year.......

I'd appreciate any feedback on this.

Pallets, if you can find them. Get a spare saw with a junk bar and chain to cut them up. And you'll have to shift for nails if you put the ashes in your garden.

I use some coal at night when i can get it.(My stove is rate for coal/wood)

I was always told you need grates in a stove if you plan on burning coal. In our old Shenandoah r65 we burned coal for a week one time and I wasn't as pleased as I thought I be. But that aside I'm a big believer in burning coal...in a coal stove. Coal stoves are special.

CowboyAndy said:
we have a bag of coal in our basement from years ago when (apperantly) they heated with coal. How can I tell what kind it is?

It's been my experience that anthracite coal is relatively hard and shiny, while bituminous coal is somewhat soft, dull, chalky looking. As a guide, wikipedia displays anthracite:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthracite

and bituminous coal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bituminous_coal

I would think there should be no issues burning small amounts of either type in a wood stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.