Occupation thread closing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mepellet

Minister of Fire
Aug 10, 2011
Central ME
So, how come the occupation thread was closed? https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/what-is-was-your-occupation.74920/page-12 Can't say because there were too many posts. At 278 posts, the thread wasn’t closed. Smoke Show dug it up and updated his occupation, and now there are 290 posts, so now is a good time to close it? Hmmmmmm. Doesn't make much sense.

Yea, it didn’t really have to do with pellet stoves, but it was neat to see what other pellet stove owners do for a living. What’s the harm?

On most forums they offer an explanation when a thread is locked.

Dave

Reactions: smoke show
Well the only real harm I can see is that the thread is old, may have rolled out of one or more of the search engines favorable view for one of many reasons or that the mods want less chatter threads in the main pellet forum and that there may be other similar threads in this and/or one or more of the other forums.

I had my install thread, which I was fond of, closed because someone looking for a new insert came upon my thread and commented; I think it was because it was old.
Still roils me.

Well the only real harm I can see is that the thread is old, may have rolled out of one or more of the search engines favorable view for one of many reasons or that the mods want less chatter threads in the main pellet forum and that there may be other similar threads in this and/or one or more of the other forums.
If they closed threads that were similar to others, I think things would be awfully quiet around here. How often does someone start a, "do I need an oak" thread?

Reactions: smoke show
I had my install thread, which I was fond of, closed because someone looking for a new insert came upon my thread and commented; I think it was because it was old.
Still roils me.
I know... I think I remember that. Heaven forbid, someone wanted to ask a question about your install....
Edit: I officially retract this statement. Since found out this is not a reason why threads are closed. Carry on....

Last edited:
If they closed threads that were similar to others, I think things would be awfully quiet around here. How often does someone start a, "do I need an oak" thread?

Yeah I hear you but old threads are not usually resurrected in the search for some information on such critters. Old content suddenly appearing many link levels closer to the top of the site's linkage tree tends to de rate pages in search engines.

Something about damned if you do and bleeped if you don't.

Remember the goal of site owners is high serps and thus some advertising $ running one of these sites isn't a zero cost venture.

Reactions: save$ and mepellet
Guilty. Yet another new user has been going through resurrecting old threads. The problem with it is popping them back up to the top of the topics list and folks having to wade through page after page of stuff from back in 2011. Nothing to do with bumping up search rating.

Nothing wrong with starting a new one on occupations. Dexter's one in the pellet room for 2013 is here and open:

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/whats-your-occupation-pellet-people.102434/

Edit to add: Anytime you need to update a closed thread just let a mod know. It is done fairly often.

Reactions: mralias
Guilty. Yet another new user has been going through resurrecting old threads. The problem with it is popping them back up to the top of the topics list and folks having to wade through page after page of stuff from back in 2011. Nothing to do with bumping up search rating.

Nothing wrong with starting a new one on occupations. Dexter's one in the pellet room for 2013 is here and open:

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/whats-your-occupation-pellet-people.102434/

Edit to add: Anytime you need to update a closed thread just let a mod know. It is done fairly often.

Fair enough I suppose... Thanks for the explanation.

Although, Smoke Show was the one who resurrected the thread in question.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/index.php?posts/1526917
He has been a member since 2008.

Thanks for the update BB

Well, I'm not gonna rubber stamp the response. Just because something is old doesn't make it obsolete. That could refer to a fair percentage of the folks here. Still roiling.
I got that in before it locked, maybe.

I just re-opened it. I just saw the last post in the shuffle clean up the barrel full that were getting dredged up today. We do probably need to close it soon given the newer one is out there. Or maybe better I merge Dexter's into it?

Reactions: DexterDay
Wouldn't see any harm if you merged them?
Rather see that? Than a lock?

Smoke Show is my Buddy ;lol

But he has been here longer. Kinda like seniority at a job. I don't want to step on his toes. So let's say we merge "Mine" into "His"? ;)

Either way works. I must do 50 of these a year. Somebody discovers the place and must stay up all night reading stuff back to 2005 and commenting on them. Usually just knock out the "I agree" post that resurrects the things and close them to put them back in bed in history. First one that this has happened with.

I'll merge yours into the other one tomorrow. To tired to go through the drill that entails tonight.

I have been lobbying Craig for a published automatic stale date on inactive threads for years. We just can't agree on how old they should be.

Reactions: mepellet
Ya gotta talk to the boss on that one.

Reactions: mepellet
Sigs are an issue of user friendliness, IMHO.

We made many changes to the stock forum in the beginning with one main reason in mind. We felt it was not right to have our users scroll through long screens where the sig and avatar took up more room than needed.

Sigs were always limited in the old forum - and, we tried to limit them in the new forum but the software didn't allow it at first. Now it does. A BIG new issue is the percentage of users now on mobile. Just imagine the length of a sig on the small screens!

The new limits are for 3 lines. Look at mine. Not too bad, IMHO. Note that you can link in your sig to your profile page which can have a LOT more info...

The screen shot below shows one small example. Notice that the top post, without the long sig, would have fit in the same approx. space that the avatar block did. But with the long sig, the reader has to scroll about 50% more....

Are such details something which I expect the average poster here to understand and agree with? Actually, no - but I think if you ponder it you will see that we aren't doing it for punishment or to limit expression, but rather in one more attempt to provide the best overall experience to the readers.

Also, notice the statistics on the side - most readers are NOT members or posters. Not to say we don't love members more, but the users get a vote too. They want info as condensed as possible.

Yeah, I know I am a little obsessed about these thing. So was Steve Jobs, I'm sure!

Screen Shot 2013-09-25 at 11.39.56 PM.png

Ah I was wondering why the message about only three lines, being new I've recently added some equipment to my setup. Went to share the good news on my signature but was limited to 3 lines and 2 links.

Moving from vertical gear lists to horizontal isn't the end of the world for me, hopefully what I did is suitable?

However I can understand the reluctance, some people have some really great info, quotes and links in theirs, and now real estate is at a premium.

Steve Jobs/Webbie...Apple/Hearth.com

I aspire to great things and it generally works. All relative, I know. But still.........

If you want to delve deeper, I always thought the original Apple Tome, back in 1984, called Macintosh Human Interface Guidelines - was akin to the publishing of the Scripture!

Again, I don't expect people to agree with me, but I'll betcha Woz (who, BTW, I've had conversations with and he donated money for me to start a computer lab for poor kids) and Steve would come down on my side of this.

Yeah, I figure people could put a lot of equipment in 3 lines. They can also link to their profile easily. I'll give an example...

Furthermore, as with BB, ALL of the mods as well as the admin here listen. State your case. We generally work by some sort of consensus, although some of the mods say "do what you think is best" as opposed to placing a vote.

Here is a bit of Human Interface Guidelines. If any of you want to get a copy and read it, then I'll run the stuff by you when we are making our crazy decisions! ::-)
Screen Shot 2013-09-26 at 11.10.07 AM.png

Furthermore, as with BB, ALL of the mods as well as the admin here listen.

Craig - you are ruining our image of mean spirited, power hungry trolls that arbitrarily shut down threads. Do you know what it is gonna take to get that back? >>

ya'll should feel lucky I ain't drivin the ship....I squash dissent with iron fuzzy slippers. There's plenty of room in the mines for people with stong backs (or any back really).

Status
Not open for further replies.