Occupy Oakland!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

webbie

Seasoned Moderator
Nov 17, 2005
Western Mass.
Out on the west coast visiting - of course, each day is 75 and brilliant sunshine! Not much need for heat out here!
We stopped by the Occupy Oakland protest which is big in the news - the tear gas and all that stuff.
Here's a couple pics....just for entertainment value!

Attachments

• occupy.jpg
    occupy.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 332
If you are going to do it, you are in the right place! Binghamton NY is the closest city to me and there are folks doing they same there. They are going to start really being put up to the test as the weather keeps getting colder and colder.

Hope your trip to Cali is going well.

pen

I don't think they thought this thing out.....from the org end! Snow? Rain?

I think the occupy part will have to peter out, but hopefully the actual issues that many folks are looking towards can organize from it.....

As many know, out here (Bay Area), everything is fairly radical politics.......the entire 60's protest movement started in Peoples Park in Berkeley.

But, believe me, the other parts of California are much more interesting! We went to the art museum in Golden Gate Park, and then went up to Point Reyes.
Really stunning landscapes!
Here is a view of the Pacific.....

Attachments

• ptreyes2.jpg
    ptreyes2.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 322
  • Screen Shot 2011-10-30 at 11.53.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-10-30 at 11.53.01 PM.png
    134.8 KB · Views: 298
Hearth.com hat looks great!

Just beautiful Craig. Hope the trip is more pleasure than business.

pen

Love that part of California. The coast is spectacular.

I just know I was meant to live in Cali..... :)
I would up root and move there right now but my other half would never!!. He likes it here in Pa >:-(
Nice pics Craig...love the one where you and Martha look like honeymooners... ;-)

hearth.com hats ? where do we get ours ? !

jharkin said:

You missed the boat Jeremy....you coulda got a free one at the Woodstock open house/Hearth.com shindig a couple weeks ago...but...
I thought Craig said they would be available for purchase though.....where they at Craig? :mad:

Radical!

:cheese:

Ray

GAMMA RAY said:
jharkin said:

You missed the boat Jeremy....you coulda got a free one at the Woodstock open house/Hearth.com shindig a couple weeks ago...but...
I thought Craig said they would be available for purchase though.....where they at Craig? :mad:

http://www.cafepress.com/hearthcom

"The Revolution smells like old Urine"......well, truth be told, they have sanitation in the park. It's the streets around there which smell like old urinals. Oakland is not the finest example of our culture.

When I think of Oakland, I think of the Hells Angels, Black Panthers and general lawlessness.

However, it is experiencing a rebirth since most people cannot afford to live in Berkeley of SF any longer - a 900 Sq Ft Bungalow in Berkeley might run 450K+.

I think you are getting charged for the weather and scenery.....not for the house!

When I think of Oakland I think of four or five nights in the "shipping barn" waiting to take a very long plane ride.

Webmaster said:
We went to the art museum in Golden Gate Park, and then went up to Point Reyes.
Really stunning landscapes!
Here is a view of the Pacific.....

Gosh, now you are in my neck of the woods. I live just a few mile from Pt Reyes. Next time you are in the neighborhood, PM me and I can tell you about nice little known tourist activities. For instance, below is a crude map I send out to show people from out of town where to get great cheese and then a have a picnic on the shore of Tomales Bay at an Oyster rookery. Its a blast this time of year even if you don't like oysters since there are always many people from all nationalities cooking ethnic foods from around the world on the picnic tables. So it turns into a giant party. I was there just last week with a bunch of friends.

Attachments

• CheeseAndOysters.jpg
    CheeseAndOysters.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 216
  • TomalesBayOysterRookery.jpg
    TomalesBayOysterRookery.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 223
BrotherBart said:
When I think of Oakland I think of four or five nights in the "shipping barn" waiting to take a very long plane ride.
We normally traveled as a unit. One deployment I had to go by myself for some reason and was sent through Oakland. I arrived somewhere on the other side of the bay at night and got a cab to Oakland. I was more frightened of the area around Oakland Army base than any place I went in the military. It was grim forty-one years ago.

Yea, for a while, Oakland was the murder capitol of the U.S.

The joke back then was: "Oakland is a great place, if you are bullet". Except for East Palo Alto, its the worst place in the bay area. Although some places in the hills are quite nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.