OCD taking bags off the stack

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TboneMan

Mar 20, 2008
Central NY
Ok we learned about how obsessive you folks are about filling your stove....

What about your stack? Any OCD related oddities related to removing bags from your pellet pig stacks?

I'm pretty particular about using all old stock first. Additionally, for bags on a pallet, I completely finish one row before taking a back from the next lower row, even though others might be accessible and closer. Also, I only take from one pallet at a time.

Thoughts....?

You are all certified sickos.

A true pellet pig just grabs and goes, that is they grab from others pellet piles and add to theirs.

We are all waiting for hotdawg to post pictures of his stash so a raid can be planned.

I am OCD about taking from the bottom of the pile first, everytime. So I have to restack the entire pile each time I want one bag. It's terrible. Good thing I've only used 12 bags so far. I've handled those 50 bags alot.

I start on the left hand corner and work in a clockwise direction on even numbered days
and I work in a counter clockwise motion on odd numbered days
I work off all 22 pallets at a time to evenly mix the batches from the plant
I weigh each bag prior to emptying so I can verify product weight
I also do not intermix bags in the hopper
so I can accurately track each bags BTU output
however i will never sift a bag because that is a waste of my time

I stack mine so I can grab whats required to cover the cold. I do try to start with the oldest shoulder season stuff first. But once the cold come, I head for the good stuff. Then back to the shoulders when it starts warming up. One level at a time.

I always make sure to use one row up before starting on the next. If I don't, I'm likely to grab a lower bag that will make the whole stack fall over, like a big game of pellet pile jenga!

I make a little hole in each bag, so I can take a pellet from each bag.

I finish one row at a time, one pallet at s time. Whenever I open a bag a note the date and am/pm on a note pad app on my phpne. :)

In the summer I load up my porch with two stacks - one ton stack of mixed brands
and a half ton stack of Okies. Only burn the Okies when temps dip below 20 degrees.
Other than that I just grab and go. Prefer to keep it simple.

After much consideration, I will not be posting pics of my pellet stash. Makes me a little nervous. ME and MA not that far apart and I'm not home all the time to watch my pellets! Smokey, your stash is looking mighty attractive too. I've been hunting for Cubex around here and haven't had any luck yet. Interesting your grab and go theory..... As for OCD odditites when taking bags off the stack, I like mine to be level at all times across the top. Of course that's not always possible but I try to adjust it so that it's balanced. Yes, a little odd but works for me. And I also enjoy smoothing and counting the bags from these stacks.....hmmm....maybe my wife is on to something. She accused me yesterday of compulsively buying pellets and then obsessively touching them. Of course she only said that in the heat of the moment when she caught me sneaking 25 bags of Barefoots into the basement!

I write a number on each bag. I put a coinciding number in a hat and have myself a little pellet lottery.

I just take them from the stack one row at a time to keep the stack even.

I can't stand to see my stack get smaller.

Drives me nuts, must buy more pellets to refill the stack!

Doesn't matter if it's one ton standing or four, the pile must fill the aisle.

I make a small hole in the bottom bag, and try to remove the pellets one by one so I don't disturb the stack. If you don't hear from me, you'll know the stack fell on me.

My WIFE picks up two bags at a time from my neighbors stash two blocks away and sneaks them back to our place... the guy stores them in his basement and has a security system so she first has to pick the lock, disable the security system, steal the pellets, reset the security, destroy the video tape that has recorded the mis-deed, then drag the pellets back home.

Did I mention she's in a wheelchair?

krooser said:
My WIFE picks up two bags at a time from my neighbors stash two blocks away and sneaks them back to our place... the guy stores them in his basement and has a security system so she first has to pick the lock, disable the security system, steal the pellets, reset the security, destroy the video tape that has recorded the mis-deed, then drag the pellets back home.

Did I mention she's in a wheelchair?
That's what she tells you she's doing! He just turns the security off and lets her in!

hotdawg said:
compulsively buying pellets and then obsessively touching them. Of course she only said that in the heat of the moment when she caught me sneaking 25 bags of Barefoots into the basement!

there is a thread for this affliction
we meet on wed. mornings

How about OCD in tracking pellet usage. I log the pellets used, and the days average temperature in Excel. The spreadsheet calculates the average temperature and bags of pellets used for the last seven days.

Oh no! You just gave me a new activity!

Ken-H said:
How about OCD in tracking pellet usage. I log the pellets used, and the days average temperature in Excel. The spreadsheet calculates the average temperature and bags of pellets used for the last seven days.

I track usage by day also, but never thought to include avg. daily temps.....hmmm... I wonder if I can find data all the way back to 2077 when I put the stove in.

I didn't start burning until nearly the end of Oct. this year, but I'm way below norms. I'm at 0.95 bag/day with over a third of the heating season behind us. With a 4 year average of 1.34 bags/day (over the entire heating season), I'll need a lot of 3 bag days in January/February to get up to that average.

2077??? Back To The Future!?!? (Sorry couldn't resist!)
I'm now burning about 1 ½ bags/day. Much cheaper than oil.

However she wants to pick them, bring them upstairs and dump them in the stove is fine with me. Told her to consider it a new weight loss program

TboneMan said:
Ken-H said:

I track usage by day also, but never thought to include avg. daily temps.....hmmm... I wonder if I can find data all the way back to 2077 when I put the stove in.

I don't know where in Central NY you are, but here's a weather station in Sherburne with data back to 2007...

http://www.wunderground.com/weather...&year=2007&monthend=12&dayend=21&yearend=2011

Ken-H said:

I thought I was bad keeping it in my sig... I'm not sure how long I'd be able to keep a spreadsheet! Good idea though.

Status
Not open for further replies.