October 15

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chad3

Feeling the Heat
Feb 13, 2007
Southeast CT
First day of burning on the season. Very wet snow, lots of rain.
Stove has that smell. Won't keep it running for the night, but it is now on and won't end for about 7-8 months.
Is this really what we live for? Nose was over the stove smelling that hot dry heat smell.
Chad

chad3 said:
Stove has that smell. Won't keep it running for the night, but it is now on and won't end for about 7-8 months.
Is this really what we live for? Nose was over the stove smelling that hot dry heat smell.
Chad

Do I live for it? No. This all started out for me to find a way to tell the heating oil companies to go to hell. Now it's morphed into telling the wood delivery guys to go to hell with their $250 a cord prices.

...So, I guess I live for telling people to go to hell. Not sure how that happened.

Come on, there is something about wood stove heat vs. any other. I love it. Getting to see the fire is great.
Full bore may be as of this weekend.
Have money in the bank, may as well use it.
Chad

chad3 said:
Come on, there is something about wood stove heat vs. any other. I love it. Getting to see the fire is great.
Full bore may be as of this weekend.
Have money in the bank, may as well use it.
Chad

Oh, I love the heat, messing with the wood stove, starting fires, chopping wood. But my original reason for this wasn't out of fun, it was so I wasn't spending 5-7 grand in heating oil every winter.

Now it's become my hobby.

Speaking of my hobby, are there any fans out there that I can stick behind my intrepid to help move the heat out of the fireplace?

BrowningBAR said:
Speaking of my hobby, are there any fans out there that I can stick behind my intrepid to help move the heat out of the fireplace?

What I find to work very well is just a small, cheap fan placed on the floor about a foot out and a foot to the side of the stove. It blows cool floor air in at an angle behind the stove. I turn it on only after the stove has been up to temp for some time, and the blast of hot air that comes up and over the top of the stove is amazing. Straight out of the fireplace and into the room, it beats the hell out of my old oil-heated forced hot air.

branchburner said:
BrowningBAR said:

What I find to work very well is just a small, cheap fan placed on the floor about a foot out and a foot to the side of the stove. It blows cool floor air in at an angle behind the stove. I turn it on only after the stove has been up to temp for some time, and the blast of hot air that comes up and over the top of the stove is amazing. Straight out of the fireplace and into the room, it beats the hell out of my old oil-heated forced hot air.

Yeah, I'm already looking online. I'll pick one up tomorrow morning.

chad3 said:
Chad

Chad, I still remember the first burns of the season even when I was a little boy. I loved it then and still do. There is just something about coming indoors and feeling that warmth that you get only from a wood burner.

I love getting the saw, ax and cant hook and heading into the woods in December. For me it comes right after deer season so it isn't like I haven't been in the woods; it is just that now I'm there for work.

I love the felling of trees and the cutting up of the wood. I used to love the loading of the wood but the body does argue a bit now; still, it is part of the work and it gets done. Then comes the unloading which is much faster than the loading!

In the spring, once the snow has melted off the splitting pile I hook on to the splitter and back it up to the pile. This is a fun part because now I get to sit to do all the work. Although I do it quickly, with each piece I picture how I want it to end up. And I love those perfect little logs that I can make kindling with. Once you learn how to make kindling with a splitter you find it is fun and extremely fast.

After the splitting comes the stacking. Now it is really time to take your time. No sense in hurrying this job because there is a bit of bending to do. So I don't really care how long it takes but it gets done.

Now is the time to look and admire that wood pile. In fact, every time I pass the wood pile all year long it gives me great pleasure and good memories. Thoreau was right about a wood pile giving its maker pleasure.

Then finally comes the burning of the wood. On a cold day or night when the northwest wind is howling and the temperature or snow is falling, this is the supreme time for enjoying that wood you worked with.

Do I enjoy wood heat? You bet. Life can be good sometimes!

Two more good things today:
Came home from work and wife had lit another fire. 72 in the house, it was very nice after being outside.
Furnace guy came today and gave me a hard time about the filter on the tank. Since I don't use any oil, the filter turned to sludge. All you guys who burn wood, but don't need the oil make sure you still get the cleaning. He is a friend and still told me to make sure I get it serviced every year. Furnace was very clean, little use, but the filter really looked bad (he showed it to me), almost a 1/4 inch of tar on the top.

As for wood, I have about 25 cords already stacked up, I need to get about another 2 cords brought up close to the house before the snow flies. Better now than later.

i think it's BB that says his hobby is heating his home

i share the same sentiment (my home, my buddies home ((when he needs help cutting and splitting as he helps me with car stuff)) and the neighbor ladies home since her husband has past)

as long as i have enough wood - i'm good

Backwoods Savage said:
chad3 said:
Chad

Chad, I still remember the first burns of the season even when I was a little boy. I loved it then and still do. There is just something about coming indoors and feeling that warmth that you get only from a wood burner.

I love getting the saw, ax and cant hook and heading into the woods in December. For me it comes right after deer season so it isn't like I haven't been in the woods; it is just that now I'm there for work.

I love the felling of trees and the cutting up of the wood. I used to love the loading of the wood but the body does argue a bit now; still, it is part of the work and it gets done. Then comes the unloading which is much faster than the loading!

In the spring, once the snow has melted off the splitting pile I hook on to the splitter and back it up to the pile. This is a fun part because now I get to sit to do all the work. Although I do it quickly, with each piece I picture how I want it to end up. And I love those perfect little logs that I can make kindling with. Once you learn how to make kindling with a splitter you find it is fun and extremely fast.

After the splitting comes the stacking. Now it is really time to take your time. No sense in hurrying this job because there is a bit of bending to do. So I don't really care how long it takes but it gets done.

Now is the time to look and admire that wood pile. In fact, every time I pass the wood pile all year long it gives me great pleasure and good memories. Thoreau was right about a wood pile giving its maker pleasure.

Then finally comes the burning of the wood. On a cold day or night when the northwest wind is howling and the temperature or snow is falling, this is the supreme time for enjoying that wood you worked with.

Great post, Dennis! It's downright poetic!

Stevebass4 said:
i think it's BB that says his hobby is heating his home

Yep. And the older I get the more I think I should have kept playing golf instead. Been burning for three nights and I am already looking forward to Spring. :shut:

BrotherBart said:
Been burning for three nights and I am already looking forward to Spring. :shut:
It must not be very cold, then. :)

Thanks Fred.

Chad, you say you have 25 cords of wood. Are you talking full cords or face cords? I ask because there aren't many who have 25 cord of wood on hand.

Backwoods Savage said:
chad3 said:
Chad

Great post Dennis.

There truly is nothing like being outside on a blustery Fall day cutting and splitting next year's firewood and then coming inside to a toasty warm home . . . I like nothing more than to stand beside my woodstove on a day like this and look out at my fully loaded woodshed and realize that I am ready for the the long, cold winter . . . and yet I will stay warm.

Status
Not open for further replies.