October of 2011 storm wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flatbedford

Minister of Fire
Mar 17, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I finally got to harvest the tree that took down the power lines to my street during thhe the big October 2011 storm. I'm nit sure what species it was. It may have been some variety of Hickory. The street was blocked for a couple days and the power was out for almost a week. https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/white-on-green.74719/
DSCN1866.JPG
I've been passing by it it for more than 2 yeas now planning to get revenge on it. I just drove my truck to it and skidded it in two pieces on the street to my driveway. I didn't take pictures of the act because I was blocking the traffic and in a hurry to finish. Here's the two logs in the driveway.
IMG_1117.JPG
The first tractor cart load stacked
IMG_1119.JPG
And the second load on its way to the stack.
photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG

Whatever it was it is nice dense hardwood that will heat the place nicely some time in the fall of 2017.
This is the first cutting I have done this year and the first since back in August. Family health issues have put me a few weeks behind in my '13-'14 scrounging efforts. Hoping to get caught up before the warm weather is back.

Last edited:
Reactions: PA Fire Bug
Nice local score and the weathers been good for working when it's not raining. Like you said that will be good couple years from now.
I remember that storm wet heavy snow and with trees full of leaves it dragged down tons of branches and stuff.
Also had Irene that year. Burned the ash and softwood I got from her this year and will burn the oak next season.

Reactions: OldLumberKid
Yep, sure looks like some type of Hickory. Burns great, and smells good doing it. :cool:

Man, are you splitting that stuff by hand?? Hickory can be some rough sleddin'.... <>

I finally got to harvest the tree that took down the power lines to my street during thhe the big October 2011 storm. I'm nit sure what species it was. It may have been some variety of Hickory.
I've been passing by it it for more than 2 yeas now planning to get revenge on it. I just drove my truck to it and skidded it in two pieces on the street to my driveway. I didn't take pictures of the act because I was blocking the traffic and in a hurry to finish. Here's the two logs in the driveway.
View attachment 124176
Family health issues have put me a few weeks behind in my '13-'14 scrounging efforts. Hoping to get caught up before the warm weather is back.

Sorry to hear about the family health issues; behind on the scrounging too for similar. I hope to find an oldie but goody here or there.
Yours looks remarkably well preserved for a 2 yr old downed tree.

Wow. Any tree downed for over two years at our latitude would be 60-70% unusable because of rot and termites. Good score!

It split OK. It was a little stringy, but pretty easy for the most part. The trunk was pretty straight with very few knots and only one crotch. It smelled kinda like witch hazel when I opened it up. The way it fell and the way the crew cut it 2+ years ago kept most of it off the ground so there was almost no rot. It should be very nice and dry when I burn it in 3 years or so.
Family members are on the mend so I should be able to catch up soon. Cancer for one, broken bones for the other, but both are healing well and have good outlooks. I have plenty wood lined up close to home, just need some free days to get it all dealt with.

Wow. Any tree downed for over two years at our latitude would be 60-70% unusable because of rot and termites. Good score!
The load I just fired contains a Black Walnut split from a top I found out there last fall. It's been lying out there for about 23 years. It was up off the ground, and I think Walnut is fairly rot-resistant. There are Oak tops out there the same age that I could burn but they aren't in quite as good of shape as this Walnut is.
It split OK. It was a little stringy, but pretty easy for the most part. The trunk was pretty straight with very few knots and only one crotch. It smelled kinda like witch hazel when I opened it up. The way it fell and the way the crew cut it 2+ years ago kept most of it off the ground so there was almost no rot. It should be very nice and dry when I burn it in 3 years or so.
I have plenty wood lined up close to home, just need some free days to get it all dealt with.
Good deal. That stuff gets tough when it's not straight. It seems to rot sort of quick on the ground, as well.
I'm in the same boat as you; Lotta wood lined up, just need time to go get it. That reminds me....I've got a down Shagbark I need to check out. I saw it last fall and it looks like it's off the ground.... ==c

Status
Not open for further replies.