OD of rigid stainless?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SPED

Dec 31, 2007
Anyone know the OD of rigid stainless? Especially the snout of the tee? Or I guess even just the OD of the snout of any 6" tee would be good. My thimble is 6" exactly so I'm worried that I won't be able to get the snout through to connect to the tee. I want to make sure one way or the other before I order a kit. Also I'll throw in one more dumb question ;-) Can I come to the top of my existing masonry liner(7x7 id) with the single wall 6" stainless then connect it to double wall insulated pieces to get extra height? If yes do I just get brackets to support the double wall? I need at least 3 extra feet.

Tried looking in the duravent catalog, no luck. They don't list that dimension.

jtp10181 said:
Tried looking in the duravent catalog, no luck. They don't list that dimension.

Thanks for looking jtp, seems like a tough piece of info to find, i've poked around quite a bit on google as well.

If you call simpson they could tell you, or probably any other pipe manufacturer.

It varies with different manufacturers and often with the thickness of the pipe also.

some pipe uses expanded ends as opposed to crimps...that is even larger. But in your case, I would say that most OD's would be the size of the pipe ID plus the thickness of the pipe x2, which in the case of 24 ga would be less than 6 1/16"

Webmaster said:
It varies with different manufacturers and often with the thickness of the pipe also.

some pipe uses expanded ends as opposed to crimps...that is even larger. But in your case, I would say that most OD's would be the size of the pipe ID plus the thickness of the pipe x2, which in the case of 24 ga would be less than 6 1/16"

Thanks Craig that's what I was thinking too, I just tried a piece of single wall black and I can shove that in there with a little effort, so I imagine it would be similar. I'm not sure what the ends of those tee connectors look like to go into the other piece, are those usually larger at that end?

Most Tees just have a regular pipe - or crimped (smaller) coming of, because crimped ends run toward the appliance with wood - so that should work out. If you can get the stovepipe in, chances are good that the stainless will go in also.

Most rigid pipe is welded these days, which means you don't have to add room for the fold-over type of seams that older pipe had.

SPED, I installed a 20', 6" ss rigid liner a couple of months ago. I went down an 8" x 12" clay flue with an inside diameter of 6 1/2" x 11 1/2". It went down fairly easily, but if the flue tiles are not lined up real straight it will be difficult. The mfg. of my pipe is Olympia and the O.D. of the pipe at the flange stop is 6 5/16". I made a new thimble opening of 7" and mortared it in after. The two piece thimble went together easily. I don't think it will fit in a 6" opening. It took abou four hours to finish the jop with lunch and a beer in between. Hope this helps.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.