1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

odd fan plug

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by Brian VT, Nov 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian VT

Brian VT Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern VT
    I grabbed a squirrel-cage blower that was lying around at work. I believe it came from a Jenn-Air downdraft range and has never been used. It's @ 6" diameter.
    I went to plug it in to see how quiet it is and found that it has an odd plug. Instead of the standard 2 flat blades and a round, one of the flat ones is round.
    The motor has no markings on it anywhere. I'm tempted to switch the plug and try it. Your thoughts ?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Brian VT

Loc:
    Southern VT
    I had been there, and several other sites, and can't find the type I have. Thanks though.
  3. Corey

Corey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Midwest
    Hard to say without actually seeing it - then I probably wouldn't be much help anyway. Usually if I run across something totally unknown, I try the lowest 'common' voltages first. You could try 12VDC pretty easily...car battery or something similar. If you have 24VAC handy, might want to try that too. It's most likely 120VAC with some proprietary Jenn Aire plug, but if it happens to be lower voltage, all you will get is smoke if you start with 120V.
  4. Brian VT

Loc:
    Southern VT
    I cut off the plug and (properly) installed a conventional one. It works fine. I think it's, as Corey mentioned, a proprietary Jenn-Air thing.
    Now I want to rig up an in-line rheostat/speed control. Do you think the ones they sell at hardware stores for lights would be sufficient ?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.