odd fan plug

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian VT

Minister of Fire
Jul 30, 2008
Southern VT
I grabbed a squirrel-cage blower that was lying around at work. I believe it came from a Jenn-Air downdraft range and has never been used. It's @ 6" diameter.
I went to plug it in to see how quiet it is and found that it has an odd plug. Instead of the standard 2 flat blades and a round, one of the flat ones is round.
The motor has no markings on it anywhere. I'm tempted to switch the plug and try it. Your thoughts ?

I had been there, and several other sites, and can't find the type I have. Thanks though.

Hard to say without actually seeing it - then I probably wouldn't be much help anyway. Usually if I run across something totally unknown, I try the lowest 'common' voltages first. You could try 12VDC pretty easily...car battery or something similar. If you have 24VAC handy, might want to try that too. It's most likely 120VAC with some proprietary Jenn Aire plug, but if it happens to be lower voltage, all you will get is smoke if you start with 120V.

I cut off the plug and (properly) installed a conventional one. It works fine. I think it's, as Corey mentioned, a proprietary Jenn-Air thing.
Now I want to rig up an in-line rheostat/speed control. Do you think the ones they sell at hardware stores for lights would be sufficient ?

Status
Not open for further replies.