Odd flue question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hemlock

Feeling the Heat
May 6, 2009
east coast canada
Hello,
Try to picture this - I have an old SS oil boiler flue (5") going up the centre of my house from the basement, running up behind finished walls, and behind closets, etc... My question is - would I some how be able to use that flue for a pellet stove I would like to install? The old oil flue runs right behind where the pellet stove would sit. Can you put a "tee" in the flue and sort of tap into it half way up, or something similar? Is this more hassle than it's worth? The reason I ask is that otherwise, the pellet stove flue would have to go straight up through the roof for about 20 - 25' (cathedral ceiling), and be quite a bit of a costly venture. Direct venting is not an option. Thanks.

The flue would have to be inspected and it may need to be cleaned. Is this a chimney flue ( no pipe ) or is it an actual vent pipe? If it is a chimney flue, you may need to reline it all the way to the top depending on the condition of the flue and your local codes for installing a pellet stove.

Unless you can find a name / brand on the metal liner of that thing so that it can be identified and verified as being in compliance w/ this type of device and it's needs, then I'd call a sweep. Hooking to a larger chimney isn't the concern, making sure that chimney is safe for the stove to being operated on it is what needs to be checked.

pen

Hello

All you have to do is cut a 3" hole into the 5" flue pipe and push the pellet pipe halfway in. That is exactly what I did with my center chimney. If you flue is in good shape and not more than 30 feet high then no liner or anything else is needed!

My pellet stove has been working really good for 2 years this way and it saves the cost and aggravation of cutting holes in the side of your house!!

Let us know how it works for you and show us a few pics. :)

Attachments

• PS3PelletStoveBackplane&connection 100sc.jpg
    PS3PelletStoveBackplane&connection 100sc.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 364
  • PS3PelletStoveBackPlane&Connection 240sc.jpg
    PS3PelletStoveBackPlane&Connection 240sc.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 271
pen said:
Unless you can find a name / brand on the metal liner of that thing so that it can be identified and verified as being in compliance w/ this type of device and it's needs, then I'd call a sweep. Hooking to a larger chimney isn't the concern, making sure that chimney is safe for the stove to being operated on it is what needs to be checked.

pen

Hello,
The existing flue is - Type "HT" A218, Model UT/ST, made by Selkirk. It is UL listed. Is this info of any use? Thanks.

Im pretty sure that is the metalbestos made by selkirk. You should be able to adapt right into that puppy. Is it double wall.....tripple wall?

CJ-SR4ever said:
Im pretty sure that is the metalbestos made by selkirk. You should be able to adapt right into that puppy. Is it double wall.....tripple wall?

I'll have to check. It says on it that the clearance to combustibles is 2".

Edit - It is "Metalbestos" by Selkirk.

Status
Not open for further replies.