Odd installation question - depth from fireplace face to flue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JustAGeek

Dec 29, 2009
Central Texas
I just bought a new Napoleon 1402 insert - the installer delivered today, but wasn't able to install (yet) - he had to order a larger offset adapter for the stainless liner. The offset adapter he brought did not have enough of an offset to install properly.

My question is this - I have 3 lintel bars (front to back) at the opening for my fireplace - total depth from the opening to the flue is about 8 1/2 inches - is this unusual? The installer claims that he has never seen one quite like this before, but I do live in Texas, where in most cases fireplaces are more for show than for go. However, I have a heat pump (two lies in one - it doesn't pump, and what it is pumping isn't heat) and am eager to have my house warm ... any info is appreciated!

Yes, it's unusual. Most lintels - at least in this area, are 4-5 inches wide.
Generally a little more than the thickness of a red brick...

Thanks DAKSY - hopefully the new offset adapter will arrive soon - I am really looking forward to trying out the Napoleon after the reviews I have read on it!

Status
Not open for further replies.