Odd number of cutters/two in a row same side, is this OK?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

colsmith

Feeling the Heat
Apr 11, 2006
near Milwaukee, WI
Long time user, first time sharpener.

We have a 14" 2.5hp Craftsman electric chainsaw (and are in the market for something bigger, butthat is another post.)

I have just tried my hand at sharpening the chain. It has an anti-kickback chain. As I sharpened my way around the chain I found that there were 2 cutters on the same side in a row. (see pictures.)

Is this normal? I checked the number of cutting links, there is an even number on one side, andan odd number on the other side.

The saw seems to cut straight, I am just a little confused.

-Jim (hubby)

Attachments

• 2links1a.jpg
    2links1a.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 319
  • 2links2a.jpg
    2links2a.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 329
I've seen it before. I don't think it hurts anything, but I'm new at this sort of thing. I was speaking to a local dealer and he mentioned rolls of chain. I guess they cut it off and join the ends together. Maybe that is the spot where they joined them together?

Matt

It has been that way on every chain I ever owned. A bunch of'em. That is how I keep up with where I am when I am sharpening the chain.

My guess would be it is due to the length of chain.

The 3/8" pitch chains for my 16" bar have 60 links in the usual every-other pattern, so 15 teeth per side, and no doubles. But for a different bar length or chain pitch you may find that you have to allocate an odd number of teeth, requiring a double. So I guess about half the chains out there probably have doubles. First I'd thought about it.

Doesn't matter. Like BB says, that's one good way to keep track of where you're at with your sharpening. When you get a chain that doesn't have that, you miss it.

Status
Not open for further replies.