Odd question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

laura bv

Oct 23, 2013
United States
A worker wearing rubber gloves apparently tripped and stopped his fall into my wood stove. He didn't tell me and I didn't know until I was smelling burning rubber (the stove was already going). A large hand print of melded rubber is proving difficult to remove. I'm trying to be patient and now using goo gone. Anybody have any suggestions? (He also broke an LED bulb without telling me, left a lot of trash, and more).

I failed to mention that the hand print is on the glass. I intend to wash off the goo gone. But it still is not removing all the rubber. I don't think I should try a razor blade.

Last edited:
I don't know how much luck you're going to have with solvents (rubber gloves are intended to resist chemicals, after all). You'll likely have to remove it in some mechanical means, which will probably damage your finish. If it's enameled, and the rubber is entirely on a smooth surface (not embedded in grooves and such), you might get away with carefully scraping it off with a razor. You can try that with paint too, but you'll scratch it a bit. If you want to go all out, you can sand and paint it.

It sounds like that worker was incompetent and inconsiderate. I'd file a complaint with his company, and see if you can get them to pay for some stove paint at the very least.

If the glove was latex rather than nitrile, you may be able to dissolve it with an oil based solvent (you know how you're not supposed to apply oils to certain other latex products?). WD-40 might even do it. Of course, then, you'd have to clean up the "cleaner". If it's nitrile, I don't know what would help.

Reactions: laura bv
I failed to mention that the hand print is on the glass. I intend to wash off the goo gone. But it still is not removing all the rubber. I don't think I should try a razor blade.

If other methods fail. a careful scraping with a single-edge razor blade may be most effective.

Reactions: pvfjr and laura bv
You could try one of the cleaners intended for electric cooktop stoves. Those are gentle enough not to scratch the stovetop, but abrasive. I think you will have to remove it by abrasion - in other words, rub it off. It probably will be hard to find a solvent to dissolve it.

You could try one of the cleaners intended for electric cooktop stoves. Those are gentle enough not to scratch the stovetop, but abrasive. I think you will have to remove it by abrasion - in other words, rub it off. It probably will be hard to find a solvent to dissolve it.
Good idea - I've got some. First, must make another fire.

I have a barbie hair stain on one of my glasses. Burn off what will burn off and then use the cook top cleaner. You may not be able to ever get rid of it all the way. Mine is just a little bit of an iridescent smear now but does not bother me. The company who was doing the work for you may be willing to replace the glass if you bring it to their attention. They are not unreal expensive to do.

I have a barbie hair stain on one of my glasses. Burn off what will burn off and then use the cook top cleaner. You may not be able to ever get rid of it all the way. Mine is just a little bit of an iridescent smear now but does not bother me. The company who was doing the work for you may be willing to replace the glass if you bring it to their attention. They are not unreal expensive to do.

Nice! I would much prefer an iridescent smear than a man's handprint. I'm trying the burn again tonight, the cooktop cleaner tomorrow, and then an email to the worker's supervisor. Thx for all the advice, Hearth Folks.

Reactions: Smoked
If it helps, I think it being on the glass is great news! I'm much more inclined to take a razor to glass than I am to painted steel. I clean glass with razors all the time. Just make sure you use the thin, flexible scraping razors, not the thick, rigid ones intended for cutting. Also, keep a low contact angle as you scrap, don't drag the corners, and don't slide it sideways.

If your going to use a razor blade please spray the area with glass cleaner, its acts like a lubricant. have a towel on hand to wipe the razor blasé, do little area's at time.

Careful razor blading works - the goo gone, DW-40, and stovetop cleaner all worked as a bit of a lubricant. Scraping away a little careful bit at a time. Thanks, All, for the vanishing worker handprint advice.

elbow grease and your nail off your finger. Im sorry but that's probably your best bet!!and then of course a mani if that's your thang .good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.