Odd sized pieces

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skinnykid

May 6, 2008
Next to a lake in NH
What are you all doing with the odd sized pieces to get them dried out? I mean the little pieces that are cut off when your splits are trimmed to fit into your stove. They can't be stacked well. Last year I put them on top off y stacks but this year I have alot more so far.

What system are you guys using?

I used to throw them between my stacks, seemed like a good place. In order to save money on chainsaw gas (from cutting rounds again)I bought a $2300 stove that fits 22"logs. Good thinkin huh! :-/

webby3650 said:
In order to save money on chainsaw gas (from cutting rounds again)I bought a $2300 stove that fits 22"logs. Good thinkin huh! :-/
Lemme do the math... I use 2 gallons of gas to buck up 12 cord. Nevermind... no ROI there.

I just toss my runts in a pile. Sometimes I will fill a wheelbarrow or two with them and burn them in the Fall. The pile is getting bigger every year as I toss more on than I take off.

My new stove will take 22 inch splits also but I still seem to get odd ball pieces from various sources.

You will always get odd size pieces, unless you leave behind the cut off's. I was just joking around a bit!

I use 32 gallon trash cans and leave them in the sun with the lids off. At the end of summer I put the lids on. Wheeled cans are even better as it makes it easier to move around.

Do a search for 'chunk wood' and there is another thread where people offer their solutions.

Made up a drying pen for them from a wood pallet with four posts on the corners and some chicken wire to contain them as I toss them in while splitting. Piece of plywood over it to keep the rain off and when they are dry they go into some plastic barrels that will eventually sit out on my deck for early fall/late spring burning & summer time grilling/smoking. Some of them also get burned out in my yard stove to keep me warm while splitting or working outside in the winter.

I think I'm going to use mine for campfires this year. I can never seem to get them to fit together right when I'm trying to fill a hot stove...

We pile wood instead of stacking so the odd ball pieces go right into the pile. Sometimes wood will be cut long and they'll be put in diagonally...that's when we use those short odd ball pieces. Or if it's a milder day we'll do a wheelbarrow load. Back in the day when we stacked wood the odd ball sizes would be placed on top.

JerseyWreckDiver said:
Made up a drying pen for them from a wood pallet with four posts on the corners and some chicken wire to contain them as I toss them in while splitting. Piece of plywood over it to keep the rain off and when they are dry they go into some plastic barrels that will eventually sit out on my deck for early fall/late spring burning & summer time grilling/smoking. Some of them also get burned out in my yard stove to keep me warm while splitting or working outside in the winter.

I was thinking of a similar approach,perhaps even a small corn crib style structure.

I put them under the inserts in all my shoes. The added height makes me look thinner!

I set two long pallets up on their sides about 4 feet apart, screw two 2x4's across the top, and 2 across the bottom at either end and toss all that stuff in there....makes a nice crib, then throw a sheet of plywood or something on top.

When burn season comes I put a 55 gal. barrel on the back porch and keep it full of the chunk stuff, burn it on weekends and such.

In the past I have built a "corn crib" of chicken wire and some plastic posts. This year I'm just filling in between stacks with the little chunks.

Thank goodness for the little pieces. They are what is keeping me warm as this winter just won't end and this is all the fully seasoned wood I have left.

I toss the runts in a pile and they get burned in the fire ring out back for roasting dogs and marshmallows in the summer.

crazy_dan said:
I toss the runts in a pile and they get burned in the fire ring out back for roasting dogs and marshmallows in the summer.

same here i plan to use mine for outside home use in the fire pit and they can be bagged up easily and taken out for weeekend camping if need be .I just throw a tarp over my runt pile behind my garage where its out of sight

I toss them on a raised pallet and let them dry out. They burn well in the early shoulder season of Oct-Nov when a long overnight fire isn't needed. I'm getting to the point where if it doesn't split easy with the 5 ton electric splitter I'll cut it up into odds and toss it in the pile. It would only end up as oddly shaped splits when split with a maul or wedges anyway.

Matt

skinnykid said:
What are you all doing with the odd sized pieces to get them dried out? I mean the little pieces that are cut off when your splits are trimmed to fit into your stove. They can't be stacked well. Last year I put them on top off y stacks but this year I have alot more so far.

What system are you guys using?

The chunks get thrown on top of the pile or if they've seasoned enough I'll toss them between the two rows of stacked wood. I also keep some tossed aside for use in the first few burns in the Fall.

I stack my wood in holz hausens and the odd pieces get tossed into the center. I have read that the middle should be full of splits standing on end, but I find it hard to stack this way except for the first couple of layers near the bottom of the holz hausen. Once the structure is a couple of feet high, I stop trying to stand pieces on end, simply toss odd pieces in and occasionally climb up there to try make the oddballs fit tightly. Seems to work OK for me.

webby3650 said:
I bought a $2300 stove that fits 22"logs. Good thinkin huh! :-/

Brilliant minds think alike. I did the same thing and my chunk pile disappeared over night. :lol:

I just leave them in a pile on the ground until dry then toss a few in the stove to clean up. I usually get rid of them quickly once I start because they do not last long in the stove.

perplexed said:
webby3650 said:
I bought a $2300 stove that fits 22"logs. Good thinkin huh! :-/

Brilliant minds think alike. I did the same thing and my chunk pile disappeared over night. :lol:

Exactly! No matter how gnarly the chunk as long as it will fit through the 8" x 8" door of my 28-3500 it will burn!

Status
Not open for further replies.