1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Odd sized pieces

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by skinnykid, Mar 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skinnykid

skinnykid New Member

Loc:
    Next to a lake in NH
    What are you all doing with the odd sized pieces to get them dried out? I mean the little pieces that are cut off when your splits are trimmed to fit into your stove. They can't be stacked well. Last year I put them on top off y stacks but this year I have alot more so far.

What system are you guys using?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. webby3650

webby3650 Master of Fire

Loc:
    southern Indiana
    I used to throw them between my stacks, seemed like a good place. In order to save money on chainsaw gas (from cutting rounds again)I bought a $2300 stove that fits 22"logs. Good thinkin huh! :-/
  3. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    Lemme do the math... I use 2 gallons of gas to buck up 12 cord. Nevermind... no ROI there.

I just toss my runts in a pile. Sometimes I will fill a wheelbarrow or two with them and burn them in the Fall. The pile is getting bigger every year as I toss more on than I take off.
  4. skinnykid

skinnykid New Member

Loc:
    Next to a lake in NH
    My new stove will take 22 inch splits also but I still seem to get odd ball pieces from various sources.
  5. webby3650

webby3650 Master of Fire

Loc:
    southern Indiana
    You will always get odd size pieces, unless you leave behind the cut off's. I was just joking around a bit!
  6. myzamboni

myzamboni Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Silicon Valley
    I use 32 gallon trash cans and leave them in the sun with the lids off. At the end of summer I put the lids on. Wheeled cans are even better as it makes it easier to move around.

Do a search for 'chunk wood' and there is another thread where people offer their solutions.
  7. JerseyWreckDiver

JerseyWreckDiver New Member

Loc:
    North/West New Jersey
    Made up a drying pen for them from a wood pallet with four posts on the corners and some chicken wire to contain them as I toss them in while splitting. Piece of plywood over it to keep the rain off and when they are dry they go into some plastic barrels that will eventually sit out on my deck for early fall/late spring burning & summer time grilling/smoking. Some of them also get burned out in my yard stove to keep me warm while splitting or working outside in the winter.
  8. madrone

madrone Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Just South of Portland, OR
    I think I'm going to use mine for campfires this year. I can never seem to get them to fit together right when I'm trying to fill a hot stove...
  9. savageactor7

savageactor7 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CNY
    We pile wood instead of stacking so the odd ball pieces go right into the pile. Sometimes wood will be cut long and they'll be put in diagonally...that's when we use those short odd ball pieces. Or if it's a milder day we'll do a wheelbarrow load. Back in the day when we stacked wood the odd ball sizes would be placed on top.
  10. Jeff S

Jeff S Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Kimball,Michigan
    I was thinking of a similar approach,perhaps even a small corn crib style structure.
  11. Corey

Corey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Midwest
    Cutting twisted up hedge, I get a lot of those. Usually just toss them in a pile and burn them up in the spring/fall or anytime I don't mind tending the fire fairly often.
  12. Bubbavh

Bubbavh Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NJ Piney
    I put them under the inserts in all my shoes. The added height makes me look thinner!
  13. ansehnlich1

ansehnlich1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Adams County, PA
    I set two long pallets up on their sides about 4 feet apart, screw two 2x4's across the top, and 2 across the bottom at either end and toss all that stuff in there....makes a nice crib, then throw a sheet of plywood or something on top.

When burn season comes I put a 55 gal. barrel on the back porch and keep it full of the chunk stuff, burn it on weekends and such.
  14. wendell

wendell Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Madison, WI
    In the past I have built a "corn crib" of chicken wire and some plastic posts. This year I'm just filling in between stacks with the little chunks.

Thank goodness for the little pieces. They are what is keeping me warm as this winter just won't end and this is all the fully seasoned wood I have left.
  15. crazy_dan

crazy_dan New Member

Loc:
    Missouri
    I toss the runts in a pile and they get burned in the fire ring out back for roasting dogs and marshmallows in the summer.
  16. lexybird

lexybird Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northwestern PA.
    same here i plan to use mine for outside home use in the fire pit and they can be bagged up easily and taken out for weeekend camping if need be .I just throw a tarp over my runt pile behind my garage where its out of sight
  17. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    I toss them on a raised pallet and let them dry out. They burn well in the early shoulder season of Oct-Nov when a long overnight fire isn't needed. I'm getting to the point where if it doesn't split easy with the 5 ton electric splitter I'll cut it up into odds and toss it in the pile. It would only end up as oddly shaped splits when split with a maul or wedges anyway.

Matt
  18. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    The chunks get thrown on top of the pile or if they've seasoned enough I'll toss them between the two rows of stacked wood. I also keep some tossed aside for use in the first few burns in the Fall.
  19. Wood Duck

Wood Duck Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central PA
    I stack my wood in holz hausens and the odd pieces get tossed into the center. I have read that the middle should be full of splits standing on end, but I find it hard to stack this way except for the first couple of layers near the bottom of the holz hausen. Once the structure is a couple of feet high, I stop trying to stand pieces on end, simply toss odd pieces in and occasionally climb up there to try make the oddballs fit tightly. Seems to work OK for me.
  20. jadm

jadm New Member

Loc:
    colorado
    Brilliant minds think alike. I did the same thing and my chunk pile disappeared over night. :lol:
  21. Hurricane

Hurricane Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central NJ
    I just leave them in a pile on the ground until dry then toss a few in the stove to clean up. I usually get rid of them quickly once I start because they do not last long in the stove.
  22. Badfish740

Badfish740 Minister of Fire

Exactly! No matter how gnarly the chunk as long as it will fit through the 8" x 8" door of my 28-3500 it will burn!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.